Reggie Bush value to Saints astronomical

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, May 28, 2010.

1. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

His head coach says that because he's his head coach, which he should. If he's a matchup nightmare, he should have the stats to prove it...

Reggie Bush does make the Saints better, but that's not the argument. A lot of players would make the Saints better for less $$ and less baggage (fumbles, inconsistent play, and injuries). I like the guy and root for him, but seeing the same issues year after year gets old.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Well if that was the case, then they would've gotten rid of him this year, when he was due $8m, but Sean Payton knows that Reggie Bush gives the Saints the best chance to win, so they brought him back.

Now next year, when he's due $12m, all bets are off.

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

There were a few factors at work which allowed Reggie to be overpaid this year. The odd salary cap future of the league may have been a contributor. The fact that Sean Payton is human, and it is human nature for an offensive minded coach not to want to monkey with his offense after winning a Super Bowl can be factored in. Bush can also thank Adrian Peterson for bailing him out with a fumble inside our ten yard line right after Bush muffed a punt and handed the Vikings the ball for what looked like a momentum changing opportunity at a touchdown. Bush would have been the goat in that game if not for butterfingers Peterson. I don't know if Payton and Loomis would have been so generous if we lost that game. I guess we'll never know.

4. fanatic

No offense, but I think I trust Sean Payton's judgment over yours, even though he can get too cute with the play calling, at times. :) |lombardi|Saintslogo

5. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Yes, people always get too high or too low on coaches. They're a genius when they win and idiots when they lose. After Les Miles won the BCS championship he stayed loyal to his defensive coaches and it cost him dearly after Pelini left. Again, it is human nature not to want to shake things up after you have just won a title. Well promoting them to co-defensive coordinators didn't work out too well and he wound up parting ways with those guys and hired Chavis. So far, the 8 mil we paid Reggie would have been better served elsewhere, like possibly keeping Fujita. Fujita looked pretty good when the Browns played us. So far we have paid Reggie for playing in how many games this year? Bush still has a chance to earn some--not all--of that 8 mil in the postseason. I hope he turns into to Superman and the Saints win another title, but clearly Payton's decision to bring him back so far has been the wrong because Bush hasn't produced. You can say that isn't fair because Bush has been hurt and you can't blame Payton or Loomis for that. Well, while it is unfortunate, how injury prone you are should be factored into player personnel decisions and Bush has been far from an iron man.

6. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

@fanatic i stopped arguing w/ the dude cause his hatred towards reggie and the money he is getting paid, blinds him from all other reasoning.

7. fanatic

If it wasn't for Reggie Bush, I don't think the Saints win the Super Bowl last year. Not that he was the MVP, but he was a very important puzzle piece. Again, I trust their judgment more than yours. Nothing personal. Next time you coach a team team to a World Championship, I may change my mind. :)

8. tboy

tboy Founding Member

I already pointed out that Les coached a team to a national title and he was wrong to promote his defensive coaches. Coaches and general managers will always make mistakes about which players to keep, how much they are worth, etc. With the vast amount of players exiting and signing with new teams each year it is almost impossible to have a 100% track record. For instance, if Bill Parcels disagrees with a personnel decision the Saints make, who is right? Can only a World Championship coach question the decisions made by another coach owning a ring? No, there will always be mistakes regarding players and some do a better job in the free agency era than others. Your comment about me coaching a team to a World Championship isn't relevant. It can be used in any discussion on this board to try to dismiss any opinion or criticism of the Saints in any situation. C'mon you're better than that.

9. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Maybe, maybe not. You can say that about a lot of people. With out Hartley hitting the field goals. Without Tracy Porter making the picks. With out Pierre Thomas making the fourth and one by hurdling over the pile. With out Lance Moore making that fantastic catch at the goal line and extending the ball over the goal before it was knocked out. With out who ever recovered the on side kick. Get the picture. You can say that about almost anyone on the team. The only person I think you won't get any argument about is Brees.

10. fanatic

Yeah, it's football, not rocket science. It was a combined effort. But again, you're overlooking his contribution like it was nothing, particularly his playoff game against the Cards. I get it. You don't like him and you think he's easily replaced. I disagree.

I will say that he hasn't done anything to help me win my argument these last 2 games, that's for sure. I hope he's still shaking off rust and will have a better game when they get back in the dome next week.