Reggie sez college players should be payed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MCab, Apr 27, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Exactly, they get it in exchange for playing a sport at our university.

20 hours a week is what they can do with any coaches. I work 20 hours a week and nobody provides me with free tutoring.

They don't have to worry about paying any medical cost, I'd say that's a pretty big deal. And they get plenty of school gear.

2. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

yup, many athletes i saw on campus did wear their LSU gear

3. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It'll never happen. They would have to pay an equal amount to the female athletes to comply with title IX. Plus, the cost of such a program would be outrageous. We keep talking about all this money in college football, but it's limited to just the big schools. Ask Ole Miss, Vandy and MSU how much money their football program makes. I'd bet over half of the programs don't make much money, if any.

All this cost would be passed on to the fans. You guys can forget about it!

4. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

thank you!!!
    that is always my argument. They get free education. If they don't want to take advantage of that education, that's their problem.

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Find an old article from USA TODAY ...

6. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

jesus....if only TOPS covered a tenth of what athletes get....

7. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

no one is making them play. if they don't like the situation, they can quit playing football.

8. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

In my opinion, you guys are seriously losing perspective here.

These athletes get compensated for their college play in the form of huge signing bonuses. College athletics serves as a forum to display their skills and talents, and is a time of growth and development. It works better than some proverbial European league in ferretting out the good from the bad.

In almost any other profession, people would pay for the kind of exposure a college athlete can acquire. A successful college athlete from a decent program is practically guaranteed a spot on a pro team. No, they don't get paid in school, but they are rewarded for performance in the draft.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

And also, there are a lot of career opportunities that come from playing at major universities. You make friends with future millionaires for 1, and 2 they have departments set up to help you with your career if you aren't going to go pro.

10. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

Even if college athletes would get paid...there woudl be the issue of how much and would each athlete get the same amount? Sports like water polo do not earn a lot of profit and that's beacuse People don't pay to go to their events.
    And many people do not realize that a lot of schools' athletic programs do not earn revenue, the smaller schools would not be able to support paying athletes because the program would go broke.
    And thats not all, College is meant for gaining an education. Sports are second priority. If college athletes were to get paid that would defeat the purpose of going to college.
    The student athletes are doing fine now, they have lots of financial support and do not need the extra money.