Reggie sez college players should be payed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MCab, Apr 27, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Through an athletic scholarship with practically no pay, your dad managed to get a college education & set up entire generations of your family to go to college, and yet that's not enough? They should get paid a couple hundred bucks a month as well?

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Yeah, it's not as bad as some want to make it out to be.

The one problem that I see is the average athlete (the non-superstar that doesn't have someone giving him money) struggles with having some spending money. They really can't work throughout the year like a regular student. It use to be they would work during the summer and make enough spending money for at least half the year. These "voluntary" summer workouts now makes it difficult to have a good summer job.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Then they have the option of quitting, working a real job with all that time they spend playing football, and paying their way through college with tons of student loans like the rest of us.

4. GetBackToWork

GetBackToWork Founding Member

And what other students drop out or graduate and meet a multi-million dollar job offer?

5. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

Quitting is not really an option for most athletes trying to reach the NFL or get an education. If the athletes boycott 1 year your tuition would go through the roof & some schools would close down. Don't kid yourself you benefit from them busting their butts' everyday. Most of you talk about player options, but would like to get rid of the coming out early rule.

6. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

You probably didn't read the first part of my post about my dad. He was paid about $20 a month in "laundry money" in the early 60's. I was suggesting that today's college athletes could make between $200-300 a month for incidental expenses.

On another note I'm reading into on this thread: it's a tad odd to me that we are all on this forum because we LOVE college sports, yet the disdain for the very athletes we support and cheer for is obvious from some with comments like, "If they don't want the education, quit," etc.

Yes, my father provided a better life for his family because of his education, but that was NOT his goal--it was not an intrinsic value built into him by his family and support system.

I'm thankful for his time as a college athlete. It's made my life better than if he hadn't gone to college. The same could be said for many of today's athletes. They will probably be able to carve out a better life in the future, for themselves and their children.

But I do think they should be able to receive some pocket change--legally. They put in enormous amounts of work to perform for us. Is something in it for them? Of course, but I think making a little money isn't harmful.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Our tuition isn't based on athletics at all. I benefit because I enjoy watching them perform, that's it.

They have every option that every other student has because if they don't like being restricted by the NCAA, they can quit. It's a real option. They can take student loans like most of us to get through school.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Yes, I read it. That's why I said practically paid nothing. The school covers every necessity for these kids. No need for laundry money when they provide them with the clothes & washer & dryer.

No disdain whatsoever. Just don't expect me to feel bad for them because they have it quite nicely. There are other ways to get education and no one is forcing them to play on a team.

It is impractical and unneccessary.

9. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

Also what about coach’s salaries? We pay those guys millions & when they lead us to the championship game they get a raise. Well, when do the players get a raise? Oh, that's right they get clothes, err shorts, t-shirts, & a cap!:lol:

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Ohh wait, and lets not forget they get some pretty nice jewelry they could take to a pawn shop for cash. A coach is a professional, student athletes are not. Why don't they pay t-ball players? Because they do it for the joy of playing.