Reggie sez college players should be payed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MCab, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Tiger_23

Tiger_23 Founding Member

Now come on, do you really believe they can get something for those cheap watches they get from bold games? :lol:

Cparso, check your messages.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't imagine they could get much for it even though the rings can be quite nice, but you still failed to mention the most expensive part of it. Not to mention, they get to go on vacation for a couple days in the city and have a blast for free.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Beyond the theoretical reasoning behind why they shouldn't get paid that I've mostly harped on, what about the practicality of it... If athletic programs paid athletes, they'd have to pay all athletes & pay them the same amount. For the few programs that could even afford this, it would come at a great cost to the fans in the form of ticket prices & other aspects of the athletic department would suffer. There would be much less money for facilities and improvements to stadiums.

4. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

STUDENT athletes.....i mean it still is Louisiana State UNIVERSITY. An institute of higher learning...they should WANT to be there for the education..hell even tyrus is staying to finish out the semester...there are other parts of campus besdes Tiger Stadium, Alex Box, PMAC, etc...Tuition runs about 5 grandish??(thats in-state), room and board i would belive is about $4000-$5000 a year if i remember correctly (and thats DORM, not appartments), medical - priceless, etc etc etc....multiply all that times 4-5 years....

5. swoop

swoop Founding Member

what? this is stupid. If you want to get paid, go pro, if you want an education stay in school. Otherwise stfu. you don't have to goto college to go pro. Go play somewhere else until you are big enough for the NFL if you have a prob with the NCAA.

6. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

lol, very direct and to the point

7. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

I completely disagree with college players getting paid. I understand that the NCAA makes tons of money off these guys, but the NCAA gives a lot back to them as well. Lets see....

1. They get a FREE Education. They get basically everything at the University for free
    2. They are made into media celebrities
    3. They may not get paid, but they get the opportunity to be on display every week and catch the eye of pro scouts
    4. Even though the don't get paid, lets be real, they all get some special treatment.
    5. Even if they don't make it to the pros, they will forever be legends in their college town and will never have to worry about looking for work.

I think maybe they should get a little spending money, but they don't need thousands of dollars.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

"everything"?

Quick, tell me every member of the tennis teams without looking them up.

Really? How about those women's soccer players?

Agreed

Really? The soccer players, softball players, diving team members, volleyball players? All legends in Baton Rouge? I need to learn their names then!

Agreed. A small set amount that is the same across the board for all student athletes, and the same nationwide. An amount settled upon by perhaps the ncaa. Not likely to ever happen though becuase of the cost of such a thing.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Exactly. Besides, they can leave early if they really want to get paid....and if they're not good enough to make it to the NFL, then they will have to do like the rest of us and get a college degree in order to make a living.

10. scrappy

scrappy Founding Member

Im sorry that I failed to mention the smaller non revenue sports in my point I was making. I was referring to the Major sports and those that people may actually have a chance at going to a major professional sports organization in. In other words, Im talking about money making sports. I know that soccer, tennis and golf have professional leagues and people make great money in them, but the bottom line is, these people do nothing for the university. The only time people that play these sports are mentioned is if they go on to great things later in life. They are rarely mentioned during their years in college. If you pay football and basketball players, you have to pay the others. The only way to make it fair would be to have an equal amount.