Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Indiana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Mar 30, 2015.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Here is one of the few topics I can show my 'progressive' side. Actually it is not a progressive stance it is just following what the idea of what freedom is.

This law is written and signed for the sole purpose of allowing the private sector to refuse business on religious grounds. It will eventually test the strength of the Hobby Lobby case in the Supreme Court. (I also disagree with that case).

It is a ridiculous and ancient idea. The right to live life freely (without injury to others) is a founding idea of this nation. Oppressed religions migrated here to exercise freedom of worship. Now Indiana is going to allow religion to coral freedom? It is funny to me that if your ideology does not fit a certain definition then you don't get to have freedom in the land of the free.

The evangelical stranglehold on the Republican party is scary. From my perspective, it is a last ditched effort to hang on to something relevant. That ship is sinking.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  2. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...first-church-of-cannabis-for-weed-worshipers/

the article speaks for itself.....this is just priceless. wonder how long it will take them to make another law that prohibits the use of drugs during the practice of one's religion, which of course would be a major violation of those Weed worshipers religious freedoms.

i wish i lived in indiana so i could start a church of some absurd origin, maybe the church of nudity so everyone would have to tolerate me showing off "the goat" everytime I stopped to pick up a penny on the sidewalk.

point being, these religious zealots make laws on a whim.....and without the forethought of what kind of can of worms they may be opening. the church of hemp is a finger in the eye of this stupid law but think about how far someone could take this if they wanted to. karma is a bitch, huh? serves'em right.

now long ago a town council in NY took it all the way to the Supreme Court because they wanted to have a prayer to open every town council meeting. The supreme court voted in favor of their request as long as the prayers were open to any and all religions in the town. Now they are getting requests for animal sacrifice groups who want to "pray" before a town council meeting, they are getting all kinds of crazy requests and, by law, they have to allow all of these people their turn. careful what you ask for......

3. Tiger in NC

Well said. The Republicans in Indiana have no idea what kind of Pandora's box they've opened. I just posted a seperate thread on this same subject which highlighted a group in Indiana who, under the new law, have to be allowed to practice....the Church of Hemp. Mark my words that every kind of troll who hides under a rock will use this law to take advantage of the phrase "religious freedom." Dumb asses.....

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

People are too stupid for freedom.

People don't need as many rights as they have.

HalloweenRun likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What about Rastafarians? Are they allowed to practice their religion?

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Makes me want to dress up like the pagan god of chicken, Col. Sanders and sacrifice some fried bird.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  7. Tiger in NC

I cant imagine why they wouldn't be

8. Tiger in NC

Hell, I'd show up at a church for fried yard bird......right after I hit the Church of Hemp of course.....now if we could just get a church of Doritos and Blue Bell ice cream

LSUTiga and StaceyO like this.
  9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

What is funny is your "Progressive Side" taking issue with a state law that mirrors federal law, written by Democrats such as Chuck Schumer and signed by Bill Clinton. There are plenty of blue states with the same law, one even expressing outrage against Indiana. If you guys were truly honest, you would actually listen to what Pence said, not bloviate on what your version of the media tells you. It isn't anti-gay, it isn't changing discrimination laws - which Pence stated were very important, but it is protecting citizens from Government overreach. You may or may not be religious, but if you think it is ok to force/sue people to go against their religious values then we as a country are lost. The best but extreme example is can you force a religious school to hire the opposite based upon discrimination? How would it go over if you forced Muslims to hire Christians to work in their mosque? How about forcing LBGT Organizations to hire devout Muslims who believe that they should be stoned to death? You want to talk about a Pandora's box, should the Government be able to force an Orthodox Jew Bakery make birthday cakes for skinheads and Neo-Nazis? The law was passed to protect people from the court of political correctness. But of course if one side doesn't believe or agree then the other is wrong.

gyver and Bengal B like this.
  10. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Bullshit. Don't let this law get confused with any other. They would not make a new law if it was the same as the federal law. This is was passed under the blanket of the Hobby Lobby ruling. It will be challenged. Religion is a personal choice. Our own principals are a personal choice. We all have a right to live under those circumstances as long as we don't hurt someone else. There are so many different Christian sects and many non Christian faith here. As a free country, no religious value can be held to oppose any other. We are a strong nation because of that principal.

The cost of your personal believe is the price you pay for someone else's personal belief. That is guaranteed in the Constitution.

Less govt intrusion. These Republicans don't get it on this level.