Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Indiana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Mar 30, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It was an open secret. Marilyn certainly wasn't hiding anything. All the insiders knew it but reporters at the time didn't report on personal indiscretions. Now they report everything and even make shit up . . . anything for a story. Mostly the kiss and tell stories didn't come out until long after Kennedy was dead.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/10/all-the-presidents-women-3/

Winston1 likes this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So do you think JFK's political career would have survived (assassination non withstanding) like Bill's did had this information been smeared through the papers and media outlets like Bill's infidelity was?

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I appreciate the compliment. No offense taken....at all.

Don't start shit, now BB. LaSalle is my favorite pot advocate. Age is a frame of mind, anyway. Unless you happen to be the oldest person in the world, there's always somebody older.

Slow your roll Dr. Drool. She is pretty much the definition of "sex" but put me in the somebody category. Some straight women would do her, but not this one.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I object to the use of the word "smeared". He started it by smearing her blue dress. And of course, he then lied about it like he did so many other sexual encounters. The POTUS was a married man who got a hummer in the Oval Office. All bets are off in terms of "nice media treatment". And yes of course JFK would have survived. He essentially has posthumously. We all know how often he cheated and yet he's still canonized, romanticized, and proselytized by most of the left and some on the right.

5. LaSalleAve

Who cares. At least Clinton's lies didn't get thousands of American soldiers killed. The only thing that died were future Clintons on a blue dress. Big deal. I guess sex scandals just don't bother me that much.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't consider "it" a sex scandal. I consider that the leader of the free world was/is a habitual liar. Would YOU stay married to that? I wouldn't. I wouldn't want my children to marry a confessed liar or someone who abused their power. So, yes, I care that despite knowing that all politicians lie, I'd prefer not to have one who repeatedly did it, got caught, went on TV and "looked us all in the eye"....and lied again!

There is tolerance.....and then there is conviction.

7. LaSalleAve

Eh... I have friends that have done the same thing, and lied to me about it and I don't look at them any different. I think he was trying to hide it from his wife more than the American people, we were an afterthought.

8. red55

I can see that personal infidelity is a political issue with you. It's a morality issue, but not malfeasance in office, which was why he was acquitted from his impeachment by a Republican Congress. I think the "Special Prosecutor" abandoning his failed Whitewater witch hunt and just switching to prosecuting the President over a personal matter was smearing at its most blatant. Neither Whitewater nor the attempted impeachment could succeed in reversing the results of two elections but they were conducted at great public expense to smear the President and his wife.

An exaggeration. Kennedy has been romanticized a bit, just like some others, but not the hero worship you describe. Maybe you had to be there to really understand what a breath of fresh air Kennedy was. He was the first President to be born in the 20th Century. He was young and modern and America was never more powerful. Then instantly, the President was killed right at the height of the Cold War. It was a national shock comparable to 9/11.

Three months later The Beatles came to America. 4 months later the Gulf of Tonkin incident plunged us into the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Act was passed ending segregation. It was a year of great, revolutionary, and powerful change for my generation. Kennedy is caught up in all of that in the memories of the Boomers because he died and everything began to change. Had he lived, he would have been just another old Democrat ex-President.

Winston1 likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I don't extend friendships once I know someone can't be trusted. Who needs it.

Over analysis. Infidelity is something I object to and on more grounds than political obviously. My bigger issue with WJC is his dishonesty, his continued dishonesty, and his cavalier attitude about it when confronted with the truth. Let's face it, without that blue dress, he never cums clean. He literally changed the discussion on fidelity and what constitutes "sex", in this country.

Come on....he's been a bastion of liberal worship for decades. He still is only less so now that Caroline is the only living relative to speak of.

"On the weekend following the assassination and state funeral, Mrs. Kennedy invited the journalist Theodore White to the Kennedy compound in Hyannis for an exclusive interview to serve as the basis for an essay in a forthcoming issue of Lifemagazine dedicated to President Kennedy. White was a respected journalist and the author of the best selling chronicle of the 1960 campaign, The Making of the President, 1960, that portrayed candidate Kennedy in an especially favorable light and his opponent (Richard Nixon) in a decidedly negative light. White had also known Joseph Kennedy, Jr. (John F. Kennedy’s older brother) while a student at Harvard in the late 1930s. Mrs. Kennedy reached out to White in the reasonable belief that he was a journalist friendly to the Kennedy family.

In that interview Mrs. Kennedy pressed upon White the Camelot image that would prove so influential in shaping the public memory of JFK and his administration. President Kennedy, she told the journalist, was especially fond of the music from the popular Broadway musical, Camelot, the lyrics of which were the work of Alan Jay Lerner, JFK’s classmate at Harvard. The musical, which featured Richard Burton as Arthur, Julie Andrews as Guinevere, and Robert Goulet as Lancelot, had a successful run on Broadway from 1960 to 1963. According to Mrs. Kennedy, the couple enjoyed listening to a recording of the title song before going to bed at night. JFK was especially fond of the concluding couplet: “Don’t ever let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was Camelot.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. red55

I think you conflate "popular" with "worship". If Kennedy is worshipped then Reagan is also worshipped.