Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Indiana

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by mancha, Mar 30, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Reagan is more than worshiped, for a complete shit bag he has damn near reached sainthood.

2. LaSalleAve

My best friend started seeing another friend of ours girlfriend behind his back, they didn't tell anyone and lied about it until it could not be hidden any longer. He was afraid everyone would hate him. They are now married w 2 kids. Should I not be friends because he lied about what happens behind closed doors? What about a closeted homosexual? Should we just disown them for not being out of the closet from the get?

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

That's your choice. For me, I would probably move him from "best friend" category to "acquaintance". It's not necessarily all about the infidelity, it's about the lying and deceit. We create that which we fear. For me, the older I get, I just don't have the time or energy to spend on people who don't deserve it. If that means my circle of trust continues to get smaller, so be it but my peace of mind continues to grow.
    By some, yes. By a larger margin, not even close. Iran-Contra prevents anything close to worship.

My dad always said that if someone lies about one thing, they'll lie about another. For me that means slick Willie is a liar.....period.

4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

To say it was a scandal would be more than exaggerating things. Back then the press knew much more about these infidelities and they weren't confined to JFK but included Eisenhower, FDR, LBJ and many of both parties as well as sports figures (Tiger wasn't the only multiple Slam winners who had his girls). They just didn't publish them as they were considered personal and had nothing to do with work.

LaSalleAve likes this.
  5. LaSalleAve

Wow, imagine that, sounds refreshing actually. I guess we can it PreTMZ.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The press has traditionally been kinder to the left side of the aisle in matters of personal indiscretion IMO. I do disagree on your allegations regarding Eisenhower. The press did not "know" anything about an alleged relationship at the time and Summersby herself never said anything in her 1948 memoir. In fact she never claimed a relationship until her 1975 memoir which was largely ghost-written.

I also don't put sports figures and politicians in the same boat. The People pay the salary of a politician and the expectation of truth and a higher moral standard for those in public office is and should be, much higher.

Refreshing? To sweep lying and cheating under the rug? Again, would you put up with that in your own personal life?

I suppose Weiner's weiner outing should have been kept private? Sanford's lie of a life kept hidden? That's sad to me that people don't care.

7. LaSalleAve

About sex? Why should any of us care Bill was getting his carrot tugged by a coworker? Who cares about Sanford, or Weiner sending dick pics. Now the Vitter wearing diapers thing is kinda creepy.

Oh and tell John Edwards, Elliot Spitzer, and Anthony Weiner that the press has taken it easier on lefties.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

[​IMG]

9. LaSalleAve

Crab Bisque... Large...to go please.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I do not believe this. The press only cares about a story and they will follow it anywhere.

Oh yes, the press did. Eisenhower did not even try to hide her. Mamie knew, the brass knew, the press covering the war knew. When Ike finally left his post in England, he connived to have her made a US citizen and commissioned as a Lieutenant in the US Army so she could be his "driver" for the rest of the war.