Remembering my first car

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by goldengirlfan, Nov 13, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I got the car of all cars.

A 1970 Datsun B510 Station Wagon. Yes Datsun made station wagons back then. It was almost as small as one of today's hatchbacks though.

Like Sourdough, I saved up for it and it cost me $800 to buy it (I overpaid for it, in hindsight).

Its the last car in this pic, obviously.

As a senior in high school, I tried to drive this thing all the way from Kaplan to Houston to spend a weekend out there with 2 of my high school buddies . We were so damn excited (Astros game, Astroworld, all kinda fun stuff). I still can't believe my mom let me go. We got to the I-10 on ramp in Crowley and the car died. The carburetor, which had been giving me fits, went caput. I was devastated. Not because my car died, but because we weren't going to be able to go to Houston. We were so determined to go, we took the greyhound out there and back. We still had a great experience.

2. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

NO :nope:, mine was a '76 Ford Courier that my Dad bought for $700 in 1989. The passenger door had to be welded shut. Horrible vibrations and the 3-speed auto tranny kept the top speed down to a blazing 55 mph.

It was the same as the one below minus hubcaps and add a bunch of dents & rust.

[​IMG]

3. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Greatness.:hihi:

About my '57 Chevy...I neglected to mention that I bought it for $75. My friend overhauled the engine for $25 labor. It had a huge backseat and comfortable at the drive-in movie. Since I paid for it myself, my dad decided to give me $4 a week for gas. That would fill 'er up and get me through the week (unless we decided to sneak off somewhere):hihi: .

4. col reb

col reb Founding Member

'57 Plymouth with the 318 (or was it 317) engine. Had "push buttons" on the left side dash. You could shift it ( Low--2nd--High). Just like a standard three speed. Had the long fins on back. Would run like crazy. Punched it one day. I had just got it out of the shop and wanted to see what it would do. Normally, you could feel it kind of jump as it came out of overdrive at around 70 mph. It came out of overdrive and still jumped--at 115 mph. That was right before I hit another car, flipped it over, and wrapped it around a big I55 sign. It just wrapped around the sign and pulled up 14 feet of concrete. I got thrown out as it was flipping. I had the wreck right under the overpass. Somehow, I just skid up the down ramp to the top of the I55 hwy. Woke up and got up before anyone got to me. Lost the car though.

5. BamaBengalTiger

BamaBengalTiger Geaux Tigers !!!!!

1967 Chevy El Camino. Floor board had rusted out, but I repaired. First installed and 8 track on the floor, but soon after I got me one of them new fangled cassette players. It would get up and go. Drove up to the house one day, and parked it. Went back out a little while latter and saw it smoking (it was good stuff too). Burned up all the wiring. :lol: Had to drive that thing with no lights and stuff for a while, before finally buying me an almost new 1972 Ford F-150. Two tone paint, and I decked it out with chrome. Lots of front seat memories in that baby.

6. islstl

So basically you shouldn't be here with us today.

What a remarkable story. I assumed that day changed your life forever.

7. islstl

I've come to learn that's what makes the vehicle so great....as with my piece of crap Datsun. I didn't really care if it had troubles, I was just so happy to have wheels.

8. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

:eek:

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Ain't that the truth. Clorox couldn't make enough bleach to get my underwear white again if it had been me. :D

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

What in the **** are those things in the pictures in this thread?!?