Remembering Pre-season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Nov 17, 2004.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Now that the season is well under way, let's look back at the pre-season. Alot of us LSU fans were predicting us to go undefeated and win NC's back to back. People were saying that there was no way we could lose more than one game. Everyone talked about how much talent we had, how highly recruited these kids came in here and how great our coaching staff is. Now, we've got people wanting coaches NS & JF fired, we've got QB controversy out to wazoo, and every talks about how young and inexperienced this team is. What do you see now that you didn't see then? What about this team did you expect to happen that didn't?

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I've seen one thread about firing JF (which was ridiculous), but I haven't seen any about firing NS (which I can't even comprehend), so i hope that's not true. While I didn't really expect us to go undfeated, I did expect:

a) 1000+ yards rushing from Justin Vincent
    b) more consistent play from an experienced O-line
    c) to beat Aub. and win the West
    d) more big plays in the passing game
    e) to win the SECCG and go to a BCS bowl

These are all things that can be worked out and will probably be my same expectations next year.

3. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I DIDN'T expect Justin Vincent to be the fourth string RB. I positive he will bounce back next year though.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Do ya'll think we just had our expectations to high? Were we expecting to much from to many young players? Justin Vincent is another story... I saw one thread about firing Nick Saban, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't serious.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Possibly. But we had most of the players from the no.1 defense in the nation coming back and a wealth of talent (albeit inexperienced) at skill positions. Not only that, but we're only one missed x-point away from a possibly different outcome in the Aub. game. If that were the case, we would control our own destiny as far as winning the West and SEC championship game.

6. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Of course expectations were too high.....that comes with National Championships. My expectations won't change next year either. We have a really good shot next year too. The schedule is very favorable and I feel we should run the table. If we don't, oh well, there is always the year after. I like the situation we are in now, where we expect Conference championships and National Championships, better than a few years back when we were just hoping to make it to a bowl game. :lsug: :thumb:

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I thought we had a real good chance of going 10-1 or 9-2 and getting back to Atlanta, but I didn't think we could repeat as NC. I figured we would lose at least one out of the three road games ... Auburn, Georgia or Florida.

The QB dilemma is my biggest disappointment. I really thought Randall would step in and play much better than he did 2 years ago. I'm also surprised that Russell is performing as poorly as he is right now. I thought he would be further along in his development.

Skyler Green has been non-existent this year due to the ankle injury. I'm surprised noboby stepped up to fill his shoes. The return game has killed us this year with respect to field position.

Justin Vincent just blows my mind. I have no explanation for his year.

The Oline started off slowly but has been playing better as of late. Even without Wilkerson, they were able to get the run game going against Bama.

The defense hasn't made as many big plays as last year, but has kept us in most games, except for Georgia. The defensive backs gave up too many big plays this year. The dline has progressed throughout the year and is playing very well right now.

Overall, we've bounced back after the two early losses. It was frustrating to be out of the SEC chase so early in the year, but looking forward to a strong finish and a nice New Year Day bowl!

8. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

My thinking in the summer was that winning 2 of the big 3 on the road would be good. Didn't happen. Disappointed that QBs didn't produce more. Was disappointed in year Vincent had. More disappointed at times (Georgia) in the defensive backs who I thought would have All-America seasons. Was worried about kicking game. Still am.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I ditto all of the disappointments on offense.

I would've expected Corey Webster to dominate this year, and he hasn't.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

And let me add that this ... I sense great disappointment from the LSU fans (myself included) ever since the Georgia loss. Granted, its hard to get excited after that buttwhipping with home games against Troy and Vandy, but even the Bama game didn't have the electricity that Tiger Stadium normally produces for such an opponent. Am I the only one who feels this way?

It's amazing how winning a national championship changes our outlook ... a potential 10-2 season and there is disappointment in the air.