Report: Nick Saban to be next Texas Longhorns coach

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU Strength, Dec 10, 2013.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

After the whole "I will not be the next Alabama coach" thing and how he was exposed as a lying d-bag, you would think he would wanna get out in front of this one.

2. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

He makes $5.6 mill. Bama offered bonuses of $200-400,000 based on winning the West,CG, and NC. UT offered $7 mill? He might take bamas offer as a slap in the face.

3. JP4LSU

JP4LSU Founding Member

The story here in Texas yesterday was the UT "sources" said Mac Brown was retiring. Brown was recruiting in Florida and denied saying "if I was retiring why would I be busting it on the recruit trail.

If in fact they are pushing Brown into retirement, this is really sh!tty of UT to do it like this. Brown put UT back on the map and got into 2 title games even though the last few years have been mediocre. This is really crappy of them to leak this out. It's crappy to Brown but how will it affect the recruiting that he is doing now.

As far as Saban. I think he would chase the money if in fact the $10 mill is legit.
    $10 mill/year
    Close to daughter
    Stake in LHN?

But this could be used as a tool to squeeze more money out of Bama.
    The only issue with UT is that you have so many more commitments with the LHN and more media time and huge pressure by fans and boosters if he is getting paid this much they want results instantly.

Maybe the extra money will make him OK with LHN commitments, etc but who knows. It sure is sounding really possible and won't die. I suspect something is afoot and that it just might happen.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  4. msully

msully Founding Member

Yes Saban is gone , after his last $$$ call that backfied . He knows once you get to the top .Only way to go, that is down . Leave while you are on the top . It is good for LSU , A&M will not get all the great players from Texas . A smart move for Saban .

StaceyO likes this.
  5. msully

msully Founding Member

Saban knows if he doen not beat Auburn next season , that would be 2 back to back, and another game or two, the Bama Fans would want to replace him .Look back in history to the coach before Saban . Some want to get rid of Miles now , as foar on brown's recruting under Brown this will only help Texas get the players that they want . A new coach , with a winning championship history .A win win for Texas , and Saban

6. msully

msully Founding Member

LOL Take a little trip over into Tide fans , LOL better do it fast , he may shut it down for a few days . They are mad about the Auburn game , and some are even mad at Texas fans for treating such a great coach Mack Brown this way . In their hearts they know it is so, they are in "The De nile" stage . They forget how they treated Mike Shula

7. LSU Strength

LSU Strength Veteran Member

I'm not sure about all that. I don't see Bama fan wanting to get rid of Saban anytime soon, even if he does lose to Auburn again next year. If he has them in the playoff next year, or the year following, no one will be pushing him out the door.

That being said, I am all for loyalty, but some of this "let coach Brown go out when he want's to" or, "he's earned the right..." crap is getting old. Yes, he has been good for the school overall. That is what they paid him a ridiculous salary for. Yes he works hard. So do the faculty who make a small fraction of what he does. So do the assistant strength coaches, and film room guys, and athletic trainers who make jack crap compared to what he makes. The players work hard to, and their scholarship is year to year. If they don't perform well for a year, their scholarships can be taken away. If they don't perform well in back to back years, its pretty much guaranteed. Why we treat coaches any different is beyond my understanding.

So he gets let go, and they will buy out the rest of his contract as part of the deal, which means he will continue to earn an incredible salary for doing exactly nothing over the next few years. Heck, they will probably find some way to keep him on as a consultant to the program, make him an associate Athletic Director, or some garbage like that. Then he will continue to get paid a ridiculous salary, keep his free house and car, etc, and he will never buy another meal in Austin, TX. My heart is not exactly breaking for this guy.

furduknfish and LSUDad like this.
  8. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Anyone mention the fact that Mack Brown was one game away from a Big12(minus 2) championship and a BCS bowl game?

LSUDad likes this.
  9. BayouBengal014

BayouBengal014 Founding Member

Nick Sabans wife already looking at houses in Austin.

10. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

[​IMG]

GregLSU likes this.