Respect for Travis Daniels

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bolobolo, Apr 20, 2004.

1. bolobolo

bolobolo Founding Member

What's the deal with Travis Daniels getting so little national respect. He rarely gets mentioned as a top db. I know with Webster being so good, Daniels gets lost in the media hype. I've even noticed on other boards that Daniels doesn't even get mentioned when polling for the best defensive backs in the league. The guy was like a wet blanket on receivers last year. I can't wait until the season starts with the defensive backfield we will have. We seriously could have 3 All-Sec backs (Webster, Daniels, Landry)

2. BB

BB Founding Member

To use a cliche - it's the calm before the storm. Also, David Pollack and UGA have sucked up all the hype (as well as Trev Alberts head) and there is little left to go around.

3. GMoney2600

GMoney2600 Founding Member

He doesn't get the national recognition because he's always switching positions. If he can stay at corner all year and play up to his potential, then he should be in the same class as Webster.

4. GoldenFlashes72

GoldenFlashes72 Founding Member

LMAO

5. rookie

rookie Founding Member

Most media idiots look at stats and the biggest stat for a DB is interceptions. Travis gets few INT's cause he can't seem to catch the easy picks. Webster made ALL SEC two years ago and didn't start many games but he had 7 picks. That is the lone reason

6. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

Well, Georgia and The Davids should get all of the respect and the adoration of the nation... I mean, they both single handedly beat LSU twice last year. They both single handedly beat Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl.

What more can two guys do?

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

well Daniels is still refining his skills. He was raw at the beginning of the season and became dominant toward the end, moreso even in the postseason. As rookie said, these people don't see anything but stats and hype... the same as we dont know of the best players nationwide since we cant watch every game of every team. We hear the preseason All America hype and watch these players and the Sportscenters and assume these idiots are right.

Many times if you watch them you will see they arent even the best on their team but they had better stats the previous year. Take all these awards with a grain of salt. Many times they are way off the mark.

I mean, cmon, Gino Torretta won the Heisman.

8. MALONE121212

MALONE121212 Founding Member

TD should get more respect. He will get it this year. Our shutdown corners will be the talk of our team.

9. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

good point....just depends on if there's a replacement for hunt. remember that travis was at db until that freshman came on strong during the season and i believe that frosh led the team in tackles. that allowed travis to move to corner. he's so versatile that saban will use him where needed. remember during i believe the 1st georgia game where saban lost it with him on the sidelines for giving up to much cushion on a play. two or three plays later saban was giving him 5 for preventing a 1st down. saban knows how good this kid is and that is worth more than any nat'l media.

10. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

To be honest, as someone said earlier, Travis Daniels played out of position at safety for a good portion of the year. Only later, after the emergence of LaRon Landry, and the return of Randall Gay from his broken arm, did we have enough depth at defensive back to put TD at corner and leave him there.

That's when you saw him shine. But, Cory's played there two straight years, has made unbelieveable plays in the big games (UF, 3 INT's, 2 TD's, I believe, and against Georgia, who can forget that unbelieveable last second pick to seal the deal?), and has picked off 14 passes just over two years of playing the position fulltime...

TD just doesn't have the statistics, or the eye popping plays, but trust me, he has the respect of OC's around our league, and even in the Big XII, too...

;-)