Restaurants you miss

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by hebertjp, Feb 21, 2011.

1. hebertjp

hebertjp Founding Member

So it has been nine years since I moved away from B.R. The last time I visited was in 2007. Considering that where I live is sorely lacking in decent dining options, I find myself pining for some of my old haunts. Below is my list of places that I miss eating at in no particular order. What are some of yours? Doesn't have to be in the B.R. area and could be places that have closed down. Since it has been a while since I have been to B.R. some of these places may have gone downhill, so if one of my selections seems strange, this is probably why.

1) DeAngelo's--I miss a good calzone, especially the DeAngelo's deluxe. There was a place around here that made a good one that both baked and lightly fried their calzones but it went to pot. Good thin crust pizza, too.

2) Monjuni's--I love their tomato sauce even though some find it too sweet. Makes for good lasagna and spaghetti. Liked their muffalettas too.

3) LaMadeleine--Probably too bourgeois to admit I like their tomato basil soup, but I do. Liked their pizzas, as well.

4) Cheesecake Bistro--good cheesecake, naturally (even though it is just Cheesecake factory cheesecake. Good menu selection, in general.

5) Drusilla's--(have mercy, Supa). I miss any good seafood place, not much to be had around here. I was never a big fan of Mike Anderson's.

6) Canes--Chicken fingers and very addictive special sauce, usually got the toast instead of the fries.

7) Any place that has good authentic boiled crawfish. Never found one in B.R. Went to one place near Lafayette but outside the city, don't remember the name but it was good.

8) Rocco's (or any decent poboy place)--I yearn for a good shrimp poboy. The muffalettas here were good, too.

9) I can't remember the name but the Chinese buffet that was off of Airline Highway around Hammond Hwy(I think). No good buffets where I am at. A few of them started off pretty good but deteriorated rapidly. This place held up pretty well over the six years I was in B.R. Great Wall was good, too.

10) Piccadilly (no, not ashamed to admit it). There are no cafeteria style places around here that I know of. I liked their italian salad and breaded fish (I think that was it, but can't quite remember) .

11) The soul food place just north of campus (silver moon or spoon?). A great big pile of yummy cheap smothered soul food.

12) LeSaigon--sour sop shakes, mmmmmmm.

More to come if I can think of any other places...

1 person likes this.
  2. Pontius Pilate

Pontius Pilate Veteran Member

Europe pizza off Airline

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Times 100. I ate there about twice a week while at LSU. Momma's cookin was tops. She fed me for free or lowered the amount of my bill more than once when I didn't have any money.

4. Pontius Pilate

Back in the day, Momma would call me at home to make sure me and all my friends were coming to drink

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Europes Pizza . . . that was good. So was Difattas Italian Restaurant, a hole in the wall on Highland where the chicken finger joint is now. Great italian pizzas.

I miss . . .

The Library on Chimes . . . best hot roast beef in town--The Blue Boy was a hot roast beef po-boy with blue cheese--The Joes Special was a muffaletta with hot roast beef instead of italian cold cuts.

Magoos on Chimes . . . red beans and rice on mondays.

The Cotton Club . . . gumbo on Fridays.

The Brass Rail . . . Cheeseburgers and beer.

Bluebird Drive-In on Nicholson . . . po-boys and Ice Cream.

M's Fine and Mellow Cafe downtown . . . pizza with jazz.

The Black Forest downtown . . . good German food.

Poets . . . where the Wal-mart is now. Shrimp Scampi or the Veal medallions.

6. TigerFanNTenn

TigerFanNTenn Founding Member

Crazy Tomato in Johnson City, TN has THE BEST Italian food I've ever eaten. Everything they have is good. Their bread with marinara that they give out while you're waiting to order is to die for. I could go there for the bread alone. Jared and I make sure to eat there at least once every time we go back.

Pal's Sudden Service in NE TN, too. Great fast food burgers, chili dogs, sweet tea, etc... They throw their fries out if they've been sitting there longer than 10 minutes, so they're always fresh.

7. Pontius Pilate

Poets brings back some foggy memories. The original Chelseas street pub in Cortana Mall, Caramel Corn, Burger d lite, Krystal burger, Pedigos and Mirror Steak House

8. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

I'm going to date myself and probably no one here except maybe Red may remember this place. When I was at LSU in the late 70's there was a hole in the wall pizza joint in the shopping center on Highland and Chimes called Pete and Tillies. They would make the richest, cheesiest, double stacked pizza. One slice would fill you up but my roomate and I would order a medium and nearly have to call a cab to get back to the dorm. I'm still salavating.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

there's more of us late 70's guys here than you think ;)

I never really loved their pizza. I like mine sort of minimalist. I've never been a fan of huge wads of cheese.

10. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Giamanco's on Gov't.