Rewatching the game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tzanghi, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Do you mean to suggest that there may be a case or two of extreme overreaction based on the first game of the season? :shock:

I went back and re-watched the game and I too felt a little better afterwards. It's never as bad or as good as it seems. Isn't that the way it goes?

So here's my quick take. Our offense wasn't that good from start to finish. There were moments of greatness and glimpses of what is possible but overall failed to fulfill their potential. Still we knew that the offense was behind the defense in it's development but with game 1 under their belts, the learning curve is pretty much done. Time to make that 1st to 2nd game leap and rise up. I don't think it would be such a bad idea to sit Jefferson for a series or two and put in Lee.

The defense played a decent game. I saw some great efforts from those that you expect to see play well like Peterson, Nevis and K Sheppard. Then I saw some nice flashes of the future from a couple of guys like Montgomery and Mingo. I'm surprised to say it but I think someone needs to take a look at the secondary and figure out why we gave up the big plays. We gave up 400 yards and most of that was through the air.

Is there anything Peterson can't do? Maybe let him take a couple of reps at QB. He single handedly won this game for the team whether it was through points on the board or field position. Thank someone every day you wake up and see #7 in purple and gold. In big games your prime time players should step up and he did.

I'm not calling for anyone's head. I just don't think that's a healthy way to look at this right now. There is nothing good that will come out of this season if we just stay focused on firing coaches. Look at what needs to be done to improve.

I do believe in the first to second game improvement leap and I think this team will be there. It's all correctable and it belongs to both the coaches and the players alike. Neither one can be singled out as the cause for the issues from Saturday night. Get together, make the corrections and learn how to finish the game, every game.

North Carolina, with or without their starters is still a good team. They played hard and they also have some serious talent (1st and 2nd strings). I think many of us may have drank too much of the kool aid and expected a blow out.

I didn't wait 9 months to start fussin after the first game. We walked out of a challenging situation with a win. How would you like to be waking up in Oxford right now? We could have done better and we will do better. Let's stop worrying about what "almost" happened. Worry is praying for the worst. Let's have some faith and get ready for next week and not start playing out doomsday scenarios. Life is short, the football season is much shorter.

Have some fun and enjoy it ...

6 people like this.
  2. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

:geaux: Thanks for a good post. :thumb: :LSU231:

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Nutshell, right there. Hopefully, our coaching staff learned from this game that you can not let up off the gas against a good team, especially in the third quarter. Its really hard to re-establish momentum once you've given it away.

Some other things I've noticed from the naysayers in the last day and a half:

"We got torched by a garbage quarterback" - BS, we faced a guy making his 32nd major college start. Yates is one of the most experienced QBs in the country, and ranks in the top 2 in most categories in UNC history.

"We still can't control the ball" - We ran 55 plays from scrimmage, which is right around what we averaged last year. However, we scored on the first play on 2 drives, and scored a special teams touchdown, which negated a possible possession completely. We also lost a possession thanks to the roughing the passer penalty. The 55 play total would be a matter of concern if I thought the defense looked gassed down the stretch, but they didn't.

Saturday's poor performance (if you want to call it that) was mostly about a few mistakes at critical times. We'll be alright.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard Founding Member

Yeah, I'm glad some of you went back and watched the game because I was a bit shocked at the kneejerk reaction after the game when came over to TF's to read the board. I to watched the game and I saw some things that a lot of LSU fans should be excited about. And yes, I saw some things that should concern you as well but not to the point of throwing out the season after game one. You still have a legitimate shot at winning the SEC West and the SEC Title. Or from my eyes and what I watched y'all do.

3 people like this.
  5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

The fourth quarter was horrible. Football games ebb and flow with emotion, LSU lost its egde having a 20 point lead and never really got back into the rythem of the game. LSU is not as bad as we played in the 4th quarter. I have to admit, I'm worried about our offense though.

6. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Ya know...I'm not that worried about the offense...except the fact that they let off the gas way too early.

We got a lot of rushing yards against a good defense. JJ looked more comfortable and calm in the pocket. He didn't get that confused, panicked look that he got all season last year until late in the fourth quarter. There weren't an exorbitant amount of false start or holding penalties...but the ones we got were ill timed. And Sheppard...what can I say? I always wanted Percy Harvin to come play for us...LOL

The only thing that totally concerns me is the ease of that offense to slant on us all night long, and the fact that returning punts seems to take Peterson out of the game late...when it's arguably the most important time for him to play. Where were the defensive adjustment? That's frustrating.

The team has potential. With the right corrections, they could be spectacular. The only question in my mind is...will the coaches learn? Or just continue to beat their heads against a brick wall hoping it will crack?

7. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I didn't get to watch the game, but when has a silly thing like evidence ever prevented me from commenting before.

There are two points I'd like to say.

1. Almost every other ranked team played a nobody in order to work the kinks out of their game. I was in Nebraska at the time of the game, and Nebraska played the mighty powerhouse of Western Kentucky: This is a team that has not won a game since 2008.

Look across the scoreboard and that is what you see everywhere for the 1st game. At least LSU is scheduling real teams to play.

2. I see plenty of people predisposed to bash Miles at the drop of "the hat" (pun intended) but I don't see any of these same people getting on Chavis, whom they seem to like (for now). Isn't it Chavis' job to prevent the other team to come from behind?

8. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

Well we can just take the 4th quarter off.

No need to play 60 minutes? They were down by 20 points in the 4th quarter, and we let them back in it. The 4th quarter is 25 percent of the game, and it is totally unexceptable the way we kicked it in at the end.

Total lack of team leadership and coaching. The only time I saw Les do anything but cross his arms all game, was after the onside kick. The only person that looks more confused than Les is Jefferson, staring at the sideline. Although he may be asking himself: "Why does that idiot just stand there with his arms crossed, and is Crowton smoking crack in the booth again" :wave:

1 person likes this.
  9. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

Most disappointing was that the team should have the killer instinct and put away the game for good in the third quarter. The penalties hurt at critical times, but I feel the officials made some really bad calls against LSU.

Jefferson better sharpen up; still too slow at times with throwing the ball. Like the idea of mixing Lee in or getting him involved.

The defense was on the field most of the second half which was probably a factor for the final quarter. I have to give Yates and the UNC team a lot of credit for their efforts.

10. SaintSlidell

SaintSlidell How bout them Tigers! Who Dat

Agree Lee should be given a chance. He may be the answer we are looking for on offense. Speaking of offense, we had NONE in the second half.

Ford and/or Ware should be given a chance to run the rock. I personally am not a Murphy fan, and I find it extremely hard to believe he beat out all RB's in fall camp. Just Les being loyal to his seniors as opposed to playing the best.