Rick Clausen to Tennessee...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TennesseeTiger, May 29, 2003.

1. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Hmmm. I'm surprised that Nick would have released Clausen if he was going to transfer to another SEC school. That isn't usually done in this league.

I think Rick Clausen missed his best opportunity -- to go to a division I-AA school where he could walk in and start. He'll always be a backup QB in the SEC, I think.

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

That probably has something to do with Saban allowing it. He wont ever be a real threat to us. He will be gone before we play UT during the regular season again, and I dont think he has what it takes to lead an SEC championship team.

4. Good for Rick, I think he'll feel comfortable in Tenn because of his past experiences there with Casey. However, I tend to agree that he has a lot of work to do to become a serious threat in the SEC. He's a good guy though, it's a shame things didnt work out better for him here.

5. Jack

Jack Member

I'm a little perplexed by this. I've been a supporter of Rick's since he came to LSU but I can't help but think he feels slighted by LSU and is looking for some payback. Obviously he feels he should be starting for an SEC squad.

My only concern is his knowledge of our playbook and general philosophies. Anyone know if there are any NCAA regulations regarding what he can disclose about LSU's playbook, etc?

If you're not a Tiger.....you're Tiger bait!

6. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

I don't think it is perplexing at all. Rick went to Tennessee to be closer to his brother. Phat Phil accepted him with open arms to pave the way to get the youngest Clausen boy wearing Tennessee orange when the time comes.

7. Jack

Jack Member

I mean I'm a little perplexed by how how I feel about it. I've always supported Rick and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little pissed about him trnsferring to another SEC school.

8. tigerfanintampa

tigerfanintampa Founding Member

Ah.... well I'm sure Rick is thinking he'll sit out a year and try to gain some weight and improve his game. His brother will be there during that year to help him learn the system. Rick will then try to compete for the starting job next year. I don't think he'll get it but I'm not that familiar with the QB situation at UT. Rick knows he has no shot at starting at LSU. I guess this is as good a chance he has at any D-I school and he'll be close to his brother at the same time. Luckily, LSU would only play UT in the championship game over the next several years and I don't think UT has a shot at making it there in the next couple of years. I don't see any harm to LSU as a result of his transfer to UT.

9. Jack

Jack Member

They're thin at QB. Vols fans were upset they didn't do well recruiting a QB this past recruiting season. They're happy just to have another QB on the roster.

10. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It will be a very big suprise if Rick ever starts a game for the Vol,s. I believe that Tennessee might have been the only 1a school that would take him. The Vol's still haven't offered a scholarship to him. That doesn't say much about his skills. :geaux: