Rick Claussen

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by pensacola, Apr 10, 2004.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Clausen got off to a very ineffective start in the Ole Miss game, and Randall came in and performed very well (similar to his performance against South Carolina and the first half of the Cotton Bowl.)

Randall had been yanked after that woeful game against Alabama, though one could also argue that the defense was equally to blame for that debacle.

Clausen wanted a chance to actually step on the field during a game. He went elsewhere to try for that because that opportunity was not in the cards at LSU.

Many of us on this forums thought that Shyrone Carey might do the same thing and were a little surprised that he decided to stay a Tiger--though Shy will certainly play some of the time next year and (I assume) will back up Skyler Green at PR.

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Clausen is certainly no "clown". He gave it his best and could not beat the competition. Instead of dogging the guy you should be rooting for him. His leaving opened a scolarship for someone who might contribute.
    He is presently battling Leak, the brother of the Florida quarterback for the starting job. If neither he nor Leak stands out, Fulmer has said that one of the Freshmen will be given the starting job and Clausen or Leak will be the backup.

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Great post, Red! I can never understand why some people find it necessary to bash everybody that suits up for the Tigers but doesn't achieve all-star status. The kid came here, did his best and it just didn't work out for him. So why bash him? I would imagine no one was happier than he for the success of the team last year.

If I remember from the 2001 SECCG, the announcers all said his younger brother Jimmy was better than he or Casey and the kid was wearing an LSU hat with a split jersey. If the family is still following LSU, which I suspect they are, then if he is as good as advertised, then they don't need to be reading and hearing about LSU "fans" coming down on their son.

So grow up people. If you don't have anything good to say about a young man like Rick, then don't say anything at all!

And btw, if I remember correctly, it was Rick that was instrumental in us winning that SECCG over Tenn. by his playing his brothers part in practices for it. So the kid made a big contribution to the success of the team even if he never played in a game. Thanks Rick and good luck!

4. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I agree, I wish Rick the best of luck in his future. He left on good terms and did a great job for LSU while he was here. Some people forget that players like
    Rick run the practice squad and give our starters the looks that they need in practice for the games that they play. They are just as much a part of the team and deserve respect. :tigerhead

5. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

So the kid didn't pan out at LSU. Let him go somewhere that will give him a shot at playing. You can't judge him from 1 game.

6. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

I got a chance to meet and throw around with him and Josh Reed at Tiger Stadium before. Trust me, he loved LSU and he only left because he also loved the sport of football. You can't blame the kid or bash him for leaving because he chose his love for football over his love for LSU.

I wish him the best of luck.

7. Mis'sippi Tigah

Mis'sippi Tigah South End Zone Bleachers

I just love the fact that a backup QB from LSU transferred to Tennessee where he'd have a better chance of playing time.

Sign of the times.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

just because one team isnt as deep in a position as another doesnt mean its a sign of the times or one team is better. Similar to our 2 young Qbs....when they are at the end of their eligibility we may not be as deep as UT at that time and someone not getting playing time there could transfer here.

nice post mike about rick preparing the team for the SECCG... I forgot about that. good point.

9. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

Also, is it not true that the "scout" squad and their contributions to the team's success is so well thought of that they also received NC Rings this year?

10. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger Founding Member

I think you are correct......I saw an interview with Coach Saban and he gave praise to the scout squad, said they were a big part of LSU football.