Ricky Clausen

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TomyDingo, Nov 17, 2002.

1. TomyDingo

TomyDingo Founding Member

well from what i heard Clausen can't take a snap under the center at practice. Saban even pulled him from practice cause he kept botching the snap! That's why he was in the shotgun last night (it might have also been because we were throwing on all downs too). Clausen also needs to put on some weight this off season. He's about 175 pounds and should put on about at least 15 more pounds. I admit, Clause impressed me last night, he made some nice throws. But people, he only threw 6 passes, and completed 3 (should have been 4 Toe dropped a catchable pass). When he got pressured, he made a smart play and threw the ball away, but then he got pressured again and he lost us about 15 yards, he was rolled up. I don't think Clausen is our future but he could be helpful during the rest of the season.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Yeah. Don't forget we were all pretty impressed with MR after his 1st start.

3. TomyDingo

I know, I was impressed with Randall during the Spring game two years ago. I still have faith in my boy!

4. MaconGATiger

MaconGATiger Founding Member

I wouldn't use the word impressed to describe my impression of Clausen at this point. But I think it would be fair to say from what Randall is putting out there, it couldn't get much worse. I'll admit though you're right SabanFan. I was one who thought who needs Matt Mauck after watching Randall at the USC game. Now I know!

5. TomyDingo

yea, Mauck sure was starting to have chemistry with the team. It would have been nice to see how he would have played against Auburn or Alabama.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Or, as Coach Saban said "he was just starting to see the whole field".

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

With all the Herb Tyler type QBs that we recruited to play running back, Wide Receiver, and DB, there has to be someone on this team that can play better than Randall has in the last three games. All it takes is someone calm that can see the field and make decisons. Randall's strenghth was supposed to be his wheels and the strength and accuracy of his arm on long passes. It appears that he can no longer consistantly throw a spiral. I though it was the wet ball at Auburn that was his problem but he consistantly throws a wounded duck with a dry ball. Does anyone know if he has ijured his arm?

8. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV Founding Member

I felt like quarterbacking was the single..

biggest difference in the teams last night. It takes a good OL for a QB to look good, but it also runs the other way. I'm not just talking about accuracy, but about things like selling the sprint draw and the like.

9. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Addai was an option QB in High School. It might be fun to watch him line up with Davis and Toe behind him for some option plays.

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I dont know if impressed would be the word I would use, either. However, Clausen had a very quick release and was throwing the ball very crisply and accurately. Like you said, he should have had 4 completions, but Toefield botched the catch. The other two passes were tipped at the line. I would like to see him put a little weight on, but hey, look at Ken Dorsey. Ive said over and over the Ken Dorsey is not that great of a QB, but he plays smart and gets the job done. I think that is what we have to look for. We dont have any incredible talent at the position, but maybe Clausen can play smart and deliver the passes that need to be made.

One glaring difference between Clausen and Randall is the release. Randall finds a target and waits too long to throw it, then has a poor, slow release. Clausen had a very quick release and wasnt staring down his receivers, a la Dorsey. I think Clausen needs to get a real look next week because what we are doing now isnt working. Also, at the end of the game, Alabama was looking for the pass, they knew we werent going to be running the ball, and Clausen still completed some passes. I think Toefield will give the offense a big lift in the next two games, hopefully we can get some efficiency out of Clausen.