Ricky Jean- Francois has not signed with anyone yet

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Feb 4, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

....but what if your son wanted to be a Gator? :shock: :eek:

Thank GOD I don't have to worry about that situation!

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

21?? But you're considered an adult at 18. Your parents don't have any control over you once you're 18. Signing a LOI shouldn't matter if you're considered of "adult age".

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

A University of South Flrida Recruiting Trip

[​IMG]

4. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

21 is required:

5. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I'm guessing only Ole Miss and maybe Kentucky would recruit a kid dumb enough to graduate high school when they're 21 or over!

Baseball players (like Mauck and Booty) excluded, obviously.

6. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

That quote is wrong and I know that for a fact. I'm not goign to go through and look for the exact rule but the age is 18, I'm just too lazy to look for it or it might be that they have to sign the letter, but if you come to the school you can sign the scholarship papers yourself. This crap his dad is pulling reminds me of the crap whitney lewis's parents pulled on him forcing him to sign with USC instead of FSU. Bobby bowden told him just to get on a plane and leave then when he got there they could just wait till he was 18 and sign it himself. His mom eventually won out though.

In the end though if Ricky wants to come here all he has to do his pack his **** and come. Just tell the coaches and he can enroll and the coaches can award him a scholly. I know many regular students who just choose to leave and come here without their parents permission. He is 17 he can leave if he wants and if they won't let him all he has to do is call the police to escprt him out.

7. Abuapu

Abuapu Founding Member

that is a pretty difficult decision to make for a 17 year old

8. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

The scholarship and the LOI are independent things. While a LOI will guarantee you a scholarship if you qualify, it is not necessary to sign a LOI to get a scholarship. The LOI is not governed by the NCAA; it is essentially an agreement among most schools that they will honor the LOI. The LOI is actually administered out of the SEC. The LOI agreement requires that a parent or guardian sign the papers for athletes under 21.

9. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Probably because the LOI is viewed as a contract. So, to avoid unnecessary legal battles over a kid they put the age at 21. This makes sense because "technically" a 21 y/o is more mature. Although I am not sure what the penalty is if you break a LOI and the school tries to enforce it, I think you lose eligbility for a year.

KTeam, what is your opinion?

10. KTeamLSU

KTeamLSU Founding Member

Depending on the actual wording of the Letter of Intent... it may be able to be construed as a contract, but if a kid broke his LOI you could only sue for damages not specific performance (making him attend school). If RP decided right now to go to UT instead of LSU, and hasn't signed his scholarship forms, then he could go without sitting out. I think it is when he signs his scholarship that he is locked in and has to sit out if he transfers.