Ridley Ineligible For Cotton Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxtigs, Dec 22, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Let's check on double standards. Auburn declared Newton ineligible for the SECCG and appealed it to the NCAA, which took exactly ONE DAY to rule him eligible.

Now LSU has appealed Ridley's eligibility to the NCAA, let's see how long they take to rule on it. If it takes them a month, by which time the game will be over, then something is mighty fishy about the velvet glove treatment that Newton is getting.

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Well I guess it is the teacher in me, but only one person to be upset with and that is Ridley, himself.

I cannot imagine his course load, during football season, but I bet it ain't arduous. Anything, and I mean anything, to put him in jeopardy with regard to academics is yet another CHARACTER ISSUE.

Sorry, but got to call them as I see them. How many of you think the Cam Newton appeal was a sham? Will you be of the same opinion if Ridley is magically reinstated?

Integrity tops football every day...or at least it should.

Merry Christmas and Geaux Tigers...hwr

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Thanks, your majesty. I think I'll wait for the facts, though.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

What's this about "yet another character issue"? Has Ridley had other character issues?

As maybe it's the teacher in me, but some teachers have agendas with regards to cheating, as well. At my school, we had a teacher try to railroad one of my honor society officers a few years ago. Fortunately for that girl, her father (a lawyer and candidate for Congress) showed up and exposed...the teacher.

I don't know at all the facts of the Ridley case, but I'm not going to automatically side with the teacher, especially when Miles is appealing.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Very unlike you. You cannot possibly know what this situation is even about, unless you have some inside info that absolutely nobody else seems to have. And what are these "character issues" about?

We still don't know the facts about Newton's case, but we KNOW his father was shopping his services. There isn't a doubt about that. We know NOTHING about why Ridley has been ruled ineligible.

I've heard three theories, none of which are related to the other. That alone tells me not to try to come up with any conclusion. Best to just wait this one out and see what's up.

In the meantime, knowing what I DO know about Ridley, I dam sure ain't gonna question his character OR his integrity as you did.

6. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

With Ridley? From I have seen, Ridley seems to be a high character guy.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

From a poster on another board:

He, along with a few other athletes (women and men sports) were accused of cheating by what many consider a "rogue" teacher. After an investigation into the allegations, no one was able to prove that the accused students did or did not cheat, but a conclusion was reached that required each student involved to drop a letter grade for their final average. Ridley had a B for the semester, thus his final grade was a C.

However, the rogue teacher decided that was not enough, and reported the allegations to the NCAA, who in turn ruled that Ridley is ineligible. Also, and I am not sure if it has been stated yet, but the current ruling by the NCAA will also make Ridley ineligible for the 2011 season. If the appeal by LSU fails, Ridley will go to the NFL.

8. LSUTiga

Oh the irony of this statement, generally speaking, if what I'm hearing is true. :hihi:

For teachers too. In 20+ years in education I've seen plenty lacking in that department.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Why is it that Ridley gets suspended effective immediately, but Terrell Pryor and company up at tOSU get suspended, but oh, we'll wait until after the Sugar Bowl to enforce it?

10. LSUTiga

The NCAA hates us.

They didn't suspend Ridley though, we did. Miles has filed for an appeal as AU did with Scam.