Ridley Rushing Yards

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bayou Bengal11, Oct 11, 2010.

1. AroundtheBowl

AroundtheBowl Founding Member

The biggest thing that strikes me about this list is how huge Charles Alexander was. I went to some of those games as a kid. Man, he was good.

2. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Don't get me wrong, man. I would love nothing more than to see LSU go back to a pro-style set with Lee at QB. I think he would absolutely KILL in a scheme like Arkansas or Alabama.

I read those claims in a different article that said the same thing that BHelm's post said...pretty sure I read it in the Advocate, but I don't feel like trying to look it up.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Alexander was the first big man with track speed at LSU. He played at 6-1, 215 and was a legitimate 4.4 speedster when the average back was under 200 and slower. I had classes with him, the guy had a short, thick torso and was all legs.

He came to LSU as a blocking back but when Cholly Mac saw his speed, he decided to try him carrying the ball. He became a powerful fullback in the NFL. But at LSU he was the first running back to average 1,000 yards a season over a four-year career, despite backing up Terry Robiskie for two years.

4. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I'd like to see it as well.

As a guy who deals with statistical analysis a LOT, I guess I veiw comparisons differently. I can guanrantee you that in an AVOVA, the different defenses would spit as a souce of variance. Thus, I'm hesitant to make a "seasonal" comparison between JJ and JL with regards to rushing. But I have no problem looking at per game.

Against a defense like FL, the run game of Ridley, and the run game in general flourished when Lee was leading the charge. With the exception of a 10 yrd and 13 yrd rush by Jefferson himself, all of the other 10+ carries were when Lee was in, including the 25 yrd Ford run. I posted it on another thread, Total Rushing under JJ against FL avearged 2.97/carry, whereas under Lee, it averaged 4.26/carry. Both produced about 80 yrds, but the 80 under Lee was with fewer carries.

I glanced at the TN game and the opposte tended to be true. The backs busted some nice runs when JJ was in.

So I guess it depends on the Defense you are facing. Maybe this is why Les Miles is keeping both of them in, so he can adjust his game plan based on what's working the best. ....

... but I'd still like to see Lee get a full game in.
    :geaux:

1 person likes this.
  5. G-LSU

G-LSU Founding Member

To take this thread further, if you could only choose 1 RB from the list, to play in one big game, who would you choose and why?

I would pick J. Hester. He is dependable and rarely injured. Didn't have the breakaway speed as some of the other RB's, but he could pund the ball and wear the defense out!

:geauxtige:geauxtige
    :geauxtige:geauxtige

6. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I'm a bit too young to have ever seen Alexandar play, so no disrespect to him or his accomplishment, but Faulk is the best back that I'VE ever seen at LSU.

7. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I think a key point to all this is the O'line too.

Ridley, earns every yard he gets, most of which come after a few hits...

The loss of 18 yards isnt on Ridley as much as it is a break down in our O line.

Scott, Hester and Ridley are all very good backs...

No reason to compare the 3 when all are equally badass..

I would also like to add that I have never seen so many good runs called back as I have this year.. Something to think about when looking at Ridleys stats...

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

a guy not on the list that i would want in a big game is Domanick Davis.

dude was money. Toefield was flashier and put up bigger numbers, but DD never seemed to lose yards, always fell forward, and if there was a seam, look out.