Right Wing Stalls Morning After Pill

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CottonBowl'66, Feb 13, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Brave words typing away at a keyboard. How would you feel about it if there were a .45 pointed at your head? I'm guessing your estimate of life's value would rise immeasurably.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

and then what if we aimed that same pistol at the head of the guy who had just raped and murdered your mom? is his life equally as valued to you as yours? if his life has inherent value, then why kill him?

the value of a life isnt magically instilled into humans. it can be gained and lost.

understand what i mean, and you wont need to make it personal.

3. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

People against abortion are typical right wingers in one sense: they make simple one line statements like "life begins at conception" to explain a very complex issue, and condemn everyone who does not agree with them as heartless murderers.

That list of heartless "murderers" includes Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, Sandra Day O'Connor and many conservative, Republican voices.

Of course they prefer to concentrate on the leaders of the women's movement and anyone to the left of Francisco Franco usually when they are on one of their rants.

If any two cell zygote is a "human being" with all the rights of the Bill of Rights, then every time a divorced couple flushes a frozen embryo they should get needles in their arms. It means the morning after pill is the choice of murderers.

The issue is not that simple and it never will be. It is just another reason why I have almost unlimited contempt for the right wing.

Recently Bush made a statement that the time may not be right to overturn Roe v Wade. It shows just how political Bush is. As long as Roe is the law of the land, the right can keep using this as a rallying cry for campaign contributions and support from the religious right.

If Roe is overturned, it could mean the end of the Republican Party as a majority party in America. You will see all kinds of crazy laws passed that will enflame moderate Republican voters against their party.

That is why Bush is backing away from overturning Roe.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Although I vehemently disagree with him, Martin is making rational arguments. There is no point in debating Martin because he doesn't believe in God. He cannot see it from the perspective of a Christian who believes all life is sacred. That's why he made a point of stating that he didn't want to get into a big thing here. Please correct me if I'm wrong Martin.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I asked you a question. There was nothing personal about it.
    But you still haven't given me an answer, choosing instead to
    answer a question with a question...which is ducking the issue.

I'll rephrase the question:Would your estimate of the value of
    human life remain the same if it were your own life at stake? A simple "yes" or "no" will suffice.

6. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

Both the far right and the far left use abortion as a money-mill. The Operation Rescue and NARAL are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but both are completely out of step with mainstream Americans on this issue. The OR-types want to murder abortion doctors and NARAL wants absolutely no restrictions on abortion whatsoever. I don't believe the vast majority of Americans are in either camp, yet unfortunately those are the voices most often heard of it this debate.
    I side with Clinton that abortion should be legal, yet rare.
    I agree the issue is complex and I agree that overturning Casey, which rather than Roe is the law of the land as concerning abortion, would cause a political firestorm, but it would effect both parties greatly.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

you are absolutely correct. we could argue back and forth ands eventually we would end up with christians reminding me that you have to take some things on "faith", at which point i would shrug my shoulders and we would all be friends again.

i dunno how to make the quotes feature show who made the original quote, but this was gman:

no, my life has value, albeit non-inherently. my life's value would be alot less if i was a suicidial mass murderer. when i use the word "inherent", i mean like intrinsic, or preordained and permanent. see what i mean?

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

My wife is a democrat and comes from a democratic family...

She use to be pro choice until we had our 1st child.

She now sees the light and is pro life like I've been along.

Roe vs Wade is the worst thing that ever happened to this country.

If people aren't smart enough to use protection, they should keep
    thier pants on.
    When someone decides to have sex they should know and be prepared for the consequences.

Its no different than when a 1st time father has a child and has
    to help his wife with the baby and has to cut the cord.

I didn't want to do it, made me kinda faintish but the doctor made
    me do it.

9. Sourdoughman

I can't believe you said that.

Do you have any children?

I usually agree with you on more things than not.

I think your view will change once you and wife go in for an ultrsound and see the little child developing.

10. Sourdoughman

I can't believe you said that!

I agree with you on a lot of things....

I bet you don't have any children.

Once you go in to get an ultrasound and see the process of having a child your views will change.

My post above explains it all!