RIP Storming Norman

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by COTiger, Dec 27, 2012.

1. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Retired 4 star general Norman Schwarzkopf passed away at the age of 78. A true American hero and the perfect man for Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

RIP General

And on a related note, his Commander-In-Chief, George HW Bush is not doing well and is in ICU in a Houston hospital.

http://www.foxnews.com/

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I was on the security detail the day the cease fire was signed. Norman was all that was needed to accept their surrender and address the terms. No suits, just military...as it should be. Norm was cool, after, he shook everyone's hand and gave us his coin. One of the few military coins I still have left. Without even saying a word, the dude was imposing. He was every bit of a war time general that one could muster. The bear was bad ass.

An hour after the cease fire was signed, there was an attack on a column of republican guard, word was not out on the cease fire and so it was pretty cool listening to this battle over the radio just after the cease fire was official. Barry McCaffrey called the battle over the radio. It was just a bunch of apache's firing on this column. Pilot took out the lead vehicle and Barry told him to take out the next lead vehicle and then another before ordering the entire column to be burned. Took 15 minutes for an entire battalion of apache's to light up the last of this huge column. 10 minutes later, we saw the smoke. Air Cav, an impressive abuse of massive firepower.

orlandotiger and COTiger like this.
  3. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Wow, that's a cool and impressive story.

I was between jobs drawing unemployment at the time of Desert Shield/Desert Storm. I watched all of the coverage including the daily briefings etc. Amazing having TV coverage of a conflict available 24/7.

4. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Basra, right?

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

South West a bit but only because the RG Brigade was repositioning out of Basra. Ducks in the water, really.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Stormin' Norman

7. Herb

Herb Founding Member

I was saddened by this news and it reminded me of how screwed up our societal priorities are. The coverage of General Schwartzkopf's is all but over just a few days after his passing. Contrast that with the months and months of coverage that Michael Jackson's death generated.

A true American hero dies and it is a blip on the news radar. A perverted, child molesting pop star dies and we have to hear about it for months and months.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  8. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Very true, if it wasn't for the protectors of the freedoms in this country that allow freaks like Michael Jackson to exist we would have never been allowed to see all the talents of MJ and many others.....RIP Norm. Guy seemed like a true American badass.