RIP to environmentalism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, Apr 21, 2006.

1. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

As indicated by a recent MIT study, the public knows little about environmental problems, and cares less. Out of 21 national and international issues, Americans ranked environmental problems 13th, well below terrorism, taxes, crime, and drugs.

Alarmism—the environmental movement’s basic strategy—has led to this dead end. Since Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring,” the movement has been dominated by doomsday scenarios. Even on the first Earth Day in 1970, biologist George Wald predicted that “civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken” while the New York Times warned that “man must stop pollution and conserve his resources…to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.” Fortunately, such apocalyptic forecasts have repeatedly proven to be wrong.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=512890

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

They haven't actually been proven wrong. We have greatly reduced polloution, slowed extinction, and become better stewards of our environment. Who knows what would have happened if we would have continued on the same paths we were down.

If you think for a second that man doesn't impact the environment you are blind. Simply look at the Terrebonne estuaries that the oil companies and army corps of engineers have destroyed in 50 years.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Not to mention the threat that the levees pose to the existence of New Orleans and all land south of I-12 for that matter.

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Somebody needs to click the link and read the column before spouting off nonsense that was answered in the link.

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

My friend, I had a post planned whereby I attempt to explain my philosophy on environmentalism. You said it though with Jesse Jackson.

By and in large, like Jackson and other racist fear mongering organizations are nothing but shakedown profitters, that is also what modern environmental organizations are: Shakedown groups with nothing but a profit in mind.

6. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Just as a side note:

Saw this article about a couple going to the arctic to study whatever:

According to some scientific predictions, the Arctic Ocean could become ice-free in the summer within a hundred years. Polar bears cannot survive without sea ice and the US government said in February it would consider whether the bears should be protected under the Endangered Species Act.

OK, then how can they survive in zoos across the country? The Baton Rouge Zoo has a polar bear doing just fine......no sea ice.

7. Broke

Broke Founding Member

Thats actually a Louisiana black bear that they spray paint with Krylon every 6 months.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Somebody needs to work on their reading comprehension. You spout off about how wrong the environmentalists were, but don't realize many of the the things they called for have come into play, among them are signigicant reductions in how much we pollute. Their comments were often extreme, but they all stated then that things must change or we would face dire concequences. Things did change. We pollute less and take better care of the environment.

9. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Only going to say this one more time...........everything you said above is in the column. Try and stay on the column's point....not your point, the column's point.

Secondly, I didn't say anything in this thread about these wackos being wrong......the author of the column said these fatal forcasts have all been proven wrong. If you look closely, I didn't write the column.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I can't believe you can't figure this one out. :lol:

Environmentalism is not going anywhere. You're dreaming, amigo.