RIP to environmentalism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, Apr 21, 2006.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

:rofl: :rofl: can you imagine those gumps seeing a 120 km/hr sign then trying to explain to the officer their dilemma?

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Ok. here is the deal.
    All creatures affect the environment one way or the other.
    When a cow farts he lets out methane gas and he is also a meal.
    Its a matter of what degree we affect our environment.

We had an ice age on this planet once, a lot of land use to be covered
    by snow, ice and glaciers.
    I have been to a lot of these places in my lifetime since I've lived in Alaska
    and Colorado.
    WE sure is hell didn't cause global warming back then.
    If we can alter our weather that much it seems to me we should be able to
    fix it.
    If scientists and people are so terrified why are we doing more to get other
    countries to comply including the USA.
    What degree do we affect our weather?
    Does anybody really know?
    Do we affect it more than mother nature does when volcanos or natural disasters happen around the world?

Nobody knows including scientists.
    My personal thinking is that some of them care more about keeping their jobs
    than the environment anyway not to mention the politics involved.
    Its to bad they weren't around hundreds of years ago to stop the extinct of
    the ice age.
    BTW we can save the polar bear and alter his climate, put them all in zoos in
    Alaska in a controlled environment with ice and snow.
    Then you don't have to worry about them being extinct.

God, save the Iceworms, do i feel sorry for them!

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

The point of the guy's column was that doomsday predictions have killed modern wacko environmentalism and he's right. Those scare tactics do not work, and they should turn to a common sense approach to dealing with environmental problems. Not attempting to scare people into using a corn or grass driven car. It doesn't work.

4. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

No one said that and that is certainly not me. Just that doom and gloom, scare tactics do not work and these environmental wackos need to learn that because their old way is dead.......RIP.

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I think you just meant 'RIP Environmental Fanatacism' because their are countless environmental standards today that didn't exist 15-20 years ago.

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Agreed. Environmentalism isn't, and won't ever be, dead. Perhaps their doom & gloom scenarios are, but I think as soon as they find a new one it will be the same thing over again.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i agree with the gist of the article, and i think environmentalists hurt their own cause with doom and gloom that contunies today. for example, the cover of time magazine that said "be worried, very worried" . i think that sort of threatening story is counterproductive and makes environmentalists lose their audience of rational people, because we have heard it all before.

of course some people love to get excited and run in circles worrying, so they buy magazines and post links to the story.

i basically believe that we should disregard the environment.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That is how they are referred to in the US, but in fact they are metric. No, English units will never die, but they will fall further and further out of use. Hell the cubit still lives in literature because Noah used it in building the ark. But it sure ain't in common use anywhere.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

for a guy who likes to research, you are crazy wrong sometimes.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What you call a fifth is actually a 750ml bottle. Take a look, it's on the label. We've been screwed out of 7.082 millilitres! :grin:

Some of them are. The second is the standard metric measure of time. Scientists have long used the metric system to measure small amounts of time (milliseconds, nanoseconds, etc).

Metric time defines the second as the base unit of time, and multiple and submultiple units formed with metric prefixes, such as kiloseconds and milliseconds. It does not define the time of day, as this is defined by various time scales, which may be based upon the metric definition of the second. Other units of time, the minute, hour, and day, are accepted for use with the modernized metric system, but are not part of it.