RIP to environmentalism

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LsuCraig, Apr 21, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Perhaps, but not this time.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

hard drives are in inches, they were built by americans at places like ibm and seagate, to american sizes, in inches. you dunno what you are talking about.

3. red55

Prove it.

The hard drives were designed by scientists and engineers (not all American) quite familiar with the metric system because these units are intended for international sales and in case you haven't noticed, most are made overseas in countries that only use the metric system.

3.5" hard drives do not, in fact, measure 3.5 inches which is simply a form factor used to standardize specifications in North America. It only means that they fit into the space once occupied by 3.5 inch floppy disk drives. For example, 3.5" hard disks are approximately 4" wide and use 3.74016" platters, which happens to be 95mm.

Seagate is a Japanese company, by the way, as is Sony, another major drive developer. :lol:

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont need to, it is apparent to anyone who knows anything. go buy a hard drive or shop for one. ask the IT guy at your job.

and worldwide. they dont use different sizes overseas. its inches. and i realize the platter can be any size it wants inside the drive case. the form factor is the relevant part, because that is what fits into your computer case, so that has to be standardized, which it is, in inches.

you probably should stop making things up and then acting like the onus is on me to disporove it. but FYI, the first few words of seagate's wikipedia page:

"Seagate Technology (NYSE: STX) is a major manufacturer of hard drives, founded in 1979 and based in Scotts Valley, California."

maybe you to should go to their headquarters in california and let them know the news that they are actually japanese. i am sure their founder, a guy named alan, would be suprised. your research skills suck.

this is too dumb for a reply.

it is apparent you made a mistake and spoke too much about a field you dont know much about. my advice is to save yourself further embarassment and be silent about it.

some things are measured with the metric system. others arent. hard drives are in inches. other parts of computers, like case fans, are metric. but not hard drives. sorry.

the italian league might say a basketball hoop is 3.048 meters. it is still 10 feet. (idiot)

5. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I was quoting the column. He said environmentalism dead.....long live the environment.

6. red55

translation=I can't.

Then you agree with my original statement. What we call a 3.5" disk drive is actually constructed with metric components and metric dimensions because it is both made and sold in countries without any english system tooling.

See how good you can do if you actually bother to prove a point instead of just proclaiming your omniscient wisdom. You are correct. I confused the Seagate Corporation (Japanese) with the Seagate Technology Corporation (US).

I repeat, 3.5 inches is the form factor for that size disk drive, but it is, in fact, metric inside.

I'm measuring one right now. It is either:

1. 146mm deep x 102mm wide x 42mm high

or,

2. 5.748" deep x 4.015" wide x 1.653" high

Even the case is metric, mon ami.

I believe this is an appropriate signature for you. You are truly perceptive. :grin:

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

if you install a hard drive, you will notice that you screw it in the bay via screws in the sides. thats why the relevant measurement is width, height and depth can vary and the drive still fits. 4.015 is four inches. your measurement is 15 hundredths away from exactly 4 inches, and that is evidence it is metric?

red, really, i understand your point about the metric system, but not every single thing in the universe is metric. many things that were primarily designed in the us are not metric.

8. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

No, but good luck finding a caliper with .015 (fifteen THOUSANDTHS, by the way) inch precision.

102mm, on the other hand, is a bit easier to measure.

9. red55

I realize this. The point I tried to make is that despite our resistance on the surface, American has already made and will continue to integrate the metric system into everything. One of the intermediate steps is actually using metric measurements, but refer to them as English, as in referring to a 750ml bottle of whiskey as a fifth or a 95mm hard drive as a 3.5 inch drive.

Yet, soft drink manufacturers simply made the jump to metric and we now are all familiar with half-liter, liter, 2-liter and 3-liter bottles of Coke and we refer to them in metric units.

All roads lead to Rome.

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah thousandths, my mistake, i told you fellas i dont understand 2nd grade math.

red is pretty accurate, measuring a drive that is made to slide into a 4 inch bay with that kind of accuracy. it seems to me that he is arguing against himself by presenting his 4 INCH measurement.

maybe, but beside the point, as hard drives are sold worldwide to fit into bays measured by inches. you can see yourself by checking out any foreign electronics retailer or reading about the history of harddrives.