Rotating Rivalries

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, May 7, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have been reading the threads about who is our biggest rival and which out of conference teams everybody would like to see the Tigers play a home and home series with. How about this: The NCAA is already leaning toward a permanent 12 game schedule. A lot of teams play 13 or 14 games in a season due to exceptions to the rule. If all the big conferences would schedule a standard 11 game season with games against obligitory conference opponents, a traditional out of conference rival and a cream puff or two, then leave 2 open dates on all teams schedule for 2 games against teams from other conferences based upon every teams finish the previous season. For instance if in one year the SEC would be matched against the Big 12 and the Big 10 the SEC winner would play the Big 12 winner and the team that finished second in the Big 10. Say if LSU won the SEC, Oklahoma won the Big 12 and Ohio State finished second in the Big 10 LSU would play Oklahoma and Ohio State the following year. Lets say that Florida finished second in the SEC, Texas second in the Big 12 and Penn State won the Big 10. Florida would play Texas and Penn State. In that particular year the SEC would be matched with the Big 12 and the Big 10, while the Big 12 could be matched with the SEC and the ACC and the Big 10 with the SEC and the Pac 10, so Oklahoma that year would play LSU in a matchup of conference winners and also play the #2 team in the ACC, lets say Maryland. Texas would play #2 Florida from the SEC and ACC winner Florida State. Penn State would play SEC #2 Florida and Pac 10 winner USC while Ohio State would draw SEC # 1 LSU and PAC 10 # 2 Arizona State. This formula could be followed throughout the standings so that say SEC # 3 Georgia would play Big 10 # 3 Michigan and Big 12 #4 Nebraska - And so on You get the idea. The conference matchup would be rotated from year to year so that the following year it would be SEC against the ACC and Big East, Big 12 against the Big 10 and PAC 10 and so on. The mandatory games could be spaced out thoughout the year so that there would be some guaranteed huge matchups almost every week of the season. Imagine a #1 Miami team having to play a #2 Oklahoma in mid November instead of both teams cruising though their conference with both teams trying to get enough BCS points to make a bowl game matchup for the NC. What would Tiger Stadium be like for a nationally televised matchup of top 5 ranked LSU and USC in late October sandwiched in between SEC games against Ole Miss and Alabama? Would Touchdown Jesus topple and fall over like a statue of Saddam if the Florida State Criminoles kicked ass in South Bend? Despite the Bullshit BCS college football is already great. This could only make it better

2. tiger777

tiger777 Founding Member

dude you just confused the hell out of me but if your saying what I think your saying I think it would be good.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Didn't mean to confuse you 777. My formula is loosly based on the way the NFL does their scheduling. Whoever wins a division then the next year they play the division winners and the last place team in the other divisions within their conference while second and third place teams play the other second and third place teams. For instance as the NFC South winner the Tampa Bay Bucs will play the NFC East champs the Eagles and the NFC East last place Cowboys while the 3rd place Saints will play the NFC East 2nd place Giants and 3rd place Redskins. Same for the 2nd place Falcons while the last place Carolina Cougars will play the Eagles and Cowboys just like the Bucs.

For the NCAA I would rather see 1st and 2nd place teams matched up against the other conferences 1st and 2nd rather than last place teams. That would match up last place teams like Vanderbilt and Duke against each other instead of matchups like Duke - Miami or Vandy - Oklahoma