RP or not, Russell will be the starter next year.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Jan 31, 2005.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Not Flynn
    Not RP

Russell will be #1. I don't know how complicated the new offense will be but I am sure we will see a totally new scheme. How fast Russell will pick it up is a big question in my mind. I think it's safe to say that he struggled last year despite only throwing 4 picks. He won’t have a senior QB to help him out next year and I am not sure if Randall was the best guy to learn from. I hope Russell builds his legs up during the off-season b/c last year he went down when someone sneezed on him. Actually I don't remember him ever breaking one tackle. He had - 41 yards rushing for the year, while Randall was the 4th leading rusher on the team. Who knows maybe he will light it up maybe he wont. Something tells me that he wont ever be great at reading a defensive set and changing the play at the line. It will be a year of growing pains for the young man.

2. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

I don't know. He didn't have a solid handle on Jimbo's offense after 2 years. With Les's new scheme all the QBs are starting from geaux. I would like to see JM start, but I want the person that is going to give us the greatest chance of winning to play QB. Also, RP is not a tiger yet. :geaux:

3. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Yes, I agree with this statement. He must strengthen his base. I would have him in the gym working them legs every other day. Heavy Squats and duckwalks would be the regimen. :) :) :) :)

4. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I think that the main thing--and it's a positive one, is that with or without RP, we still have two very young, very tallented QB's. Had Russell, then rated the #4 over-all QB, and Flynn, rated the #15 QB 2 seasons ago, were both in this year's recruiting class and signed with LSU, no one would be thinking the sky is falling if we didn't sign RP.

I want RP to sign with LSU, not because I think he's head-and-shoulders better than what we currently have, but because I want us to have the most depth, not only at the QB position, but at ALL positions. I also want to see our Blue Chip recruits staying in Louisiana. I'm tired of seeing guys like Anthony Thomas, Warrick Dunn, Marshall Faulk, and to some extent, Brock Berlin, leave Louisiana and play elsewhere.

We have some of the best talent in the nation, right here, in LSU's own backyard. We need to keep them there!

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Well I believe I've read that Flynn picked up the offense better than Jamarcus.
    With an entirely new offense, that could lead to Flynn picking it up faster and thus becoming our starter next year.

If you ask me, all 3(if RP comes to LSU) have the potential to start next year and Miles will go with the one that gives us the best chance to win.

7. BostonBengal

To me, Matt Flynn reminds me a lot of Matt Mauck (minus the speed)--good "cerebral QB". Flynn might not be able to throw the ball as hard, or as far as JR, and he won't beat out Randall, Mauck or RP in a foot race, but I think his best asset is what's found between his ears.

Whichever our QB is for next season, he just needs to be a better decision maker and needs to be more accurate than what we experienced last season.

8. Tigerbait..

Tigerbait.. Founding Member

I agree 100%

9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

The starting QB next year will be the one that Miles thinks gives us the best chance to win. Miles will get his first look at all of our QB's this spring and fall. The QB that looks the best in the fall will start and that could be any QB on the roster. You can bet the competition will be wide open at all positions and anyone could step up and claim a spot, nothing is guaranteed but JR does come in with an advantage.

10. BostonBengal

I would say he does, but only in the sense that he's the only returning QB to have substantial playing time this past seaon.... And that's just for our perception. From a coaching point of view, I'd imagine that Miles won't look at any player, reguardless of position, as having much of an advantage because all of our players will be learning a new system.