RP Talks About LSU Visit

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Jan 31, 2005.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

When I posted the article I gave credit, as I always do, to the site from which I pasted it. What if an article is only one paragraph? It's either legal or it's illegal. Which is it? You're telling me that it's ok to "steal" someone's opening paragraph but not the other 3?

2. Methuselah

Methuselah Freshman

I think MLUtiger has it right. Web sites that depend upon advertising usually put a lot of emphasis on page hits. If people post their entire articles, they loose those hits. I've been to some sites where they ask you to just summarize the article and include a link.

On the other hand, if people just include a snippet and a link, others are more likely to visit their site and increase their hits. It's almost like advertising for them. Heck, on Amazon, they even put up an entire chapter of some books to read for free on the grounds that it will encourage people to buy it.

If the entire article was only one paragraph, then I probably wouldn't copy the whole thing. That might just be me though.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I could go with the smartass answer and say that it's only illegal if you get caught. However, I'll go with what Brett suggests in the TOS: "Just because something may not be listed here doesn't mean it is allowed. Use common sense and let's make TigerForums.com a fun, friendly and dignified forum where all LSU fans can share opinions, news and stories."

4. BB

BB Founding Member

Here is what the User Agreement says:

Written works can't be partially copyrighted. What a rediculous assertion. If a member on this forum posts the first paragraph of a copyrighted work, they are in direct violation of the TigerForums.com User Agreement (unless you have the "express permission of the owner to do so).

I post a ton of information on this forum. I have lots of time at the computer on a typical work day, much more than most others. I enjoy posting information that I find so that others can read it as well. Others don't have the time in front of the computer that I do every day, so I believe they appreciate coming to this site and finding it posted (with credit given to the source).

I don't need the F***ING Hardy Boys tracking my posts. Enforce the rules, or don't. As stated above, "Do not post copyrighted material unless you have the express permission of the owner to do so." I look forward to seeing emails from ESPN.com writers and other popular journalists when ANY PORTION OF A COPYRIGHTED WORK IS POSTED...

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Laughed my freaking a$$ off!!! I'll strike the match for you.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. MLUTiger

I really can't understand why you're making this difficult dude. You look like an ass. It's pretty much common practice on the internet. Maybe you don't get around much, so I could see letting that slide. However, when the Mods and Owner have stated their desires, why argue?

Again, "Use common sense..."

Maybe those little green dots are going to your head?

7. BB

BB Founding Member

You made an off color remark and then shoved this User Agreement crap in my face on a thread pertaining to LSU and our #1 recruit. As for getting around much, buddy, you live in Monroe - I'm sure you're quite cosmopolitan...

Don't shove that crap in my face and not have the balls to enforce it. If anyone posts any part of a copyrighted work without expressed permission of the owner they are in violation of your rule. Are you going to enforce it or not? Are you barking or biting?

Don't come after me for posting information unless you are willing to enforce the rule across the board...

8. MLUTiger

I'm simply stating the obvious while watching you make an ass of yourself. It's up to the Mods to enforce it, not me. After all, they'll be the ones to get the lawsuit, not you.

As far as me living in Monroe, what the hell does that have to do with anything? Is that your version of a "yo momma" joke? The last gasp effort of someone trying to save some BBS face for something? LOL

I'm quite content to watching you hang yourself with your own rope while you attempt to figure out what I meant by posting Use common sense in bold over and over again.

I guess it's not so common?

9. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I can't believe this thread focused on this topic. There was no need to go off on BB about it. He is aware of it now and hopefully over time many others will be too.

Here is Brett's take on it from an old thread:

http://www.tigerforums.com/showthread.php?p=248789&highlight=articles#post248789

10. BB

BB Founding Member

I'm glad you stopped by to teach us all about intellectual property and copyright laws. I hope you stop by to police me next time I post an entire article on the forum. Keep your curtains open so you can see the Bat Signal.

Someone should find your nest and destroy all the eggs. Later, guy...