RPI ratings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PaulP, Mar 3, 2003.

1. PaulP

PaulP Founding Member

According to www.collegerpi.com we are currently 44th in the RPI ratings and Bama is 30th. If we beat Miss. and Bama we will probably end up about 40th(just a guess), even higher if some teams close to our ratings lose. Help me here:

How does Bama have a higher rating? I could not figure it out when I compared schedules.

Do any of you guys know what the cut off is for the NCAA selection committee pertaining to a team's RPI?

I believe if we win out we will be 6th in the SEC in RPI ratings and I assume since the SEC is the strongest conference the committee will choose 6 teams from the SEC. Am I wrong to assume this?

I personnally believe that if we win out and win just one game in the SEC tourney we will be selected.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I agree that if we beat Ole Miss and Bama and win a game at the tourney, we're in. I think the win over Tenn would give us the tie-breaker against them if it came to it. So, I guess it would be Kentucky, Fla, & Georgia as locks in the East. Miss St. as a lock in the West. Bubble teams would be us, Auburn, Bama, & Tenn competing for probably two remaining spots. It all depends on how the seasons ends. I think 6 SEC teams sounds right.

3. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

Bama has a higher RPI than us because their strength of schedule is higher rated.

The NCAA uses a different version of the RPI for selecting teams. It is similar to the ones published but not exactly. This 'adjusted' RPI formula is not made public so I don't know what they use.

Here's an interesting article about the accuracy of the RPI.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/alexander_wolff/news/2003/03/01/rpi/

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

5. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I was kidding. I was referring to the beauty in the accompanying spam.