Rules question

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by shane0911, Dec 3, 2010.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

So I'm watching the az/asu game last night and during the OT a touchdown is scored by asu however az gets to play offense next. The guy that scored showed some emotion which is understandable but made me think...

What happens if there is an excessive celebration penalty during OT. We know in regulation it is assessed on the kickoff but there is no kickoff in OT. Does the other team get to start their drive at the 10 instead of the 25? Or would they assess it on the PAT?

I'm sure they would do it on the PAT but since there is no kickoff I'd like to see them start the other team at the 10!

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Not sure about this yr, but next year they will take away the points. I'm pretty sure that is the new rule being put in place for excessive celebration after scoring.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

LT that depends on where the infraction occurs. If the celebration or showboating occurs after the player has broken the plane, the penalty is still either enforced on the kickoff, or on the PAT.

Now if a player dives into the endzone or flips into the endzone and no one is around, or high steps into the endzone, or turns around and waves the ball at a player before the plane is crossed, it's no touchdown and 15 yard from the spot of the infraction.

Perfect example, I think on a touchdown scored by Ole Miss against us this year, or maybe last year, the player dove into the endzone from the 2 or 3 yard line, and no one was near him, that would have been 15 from the spot where he dove, no touchdown.

As far as Shane's question, I believe that the 15 would be tagged on to the PAT try. But I am not certain.

4. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure, just knew it was something like that.:thumb: