Rumor Central: Pete Carroll to Chargers

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by fanatic, Oct 1, 2007.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Did anyone catch Chris Mortensons segment on ESPN? He basically stated that the Chargers have contacted PC's agent about taking over their football operations. They are willing to offer him the same type of deal Ala.'s coach got when he left LSU. Mort's sources are telling him that Carroll has expressed interest. Personally, I think he'd be crazy to leave USC, but most coaches want to win on the highest level.

Btw, I know these type of rumors pop up every year, but what makesd this one kind of intriguing is because the Chargers pretty much have the talent already in place to make a Super Bowl run. I think that may pique PCs interest since he doesn't have to rebuild feom the ground up.

2. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

As much as I HATE PC, he would be an absolute IDIOT if he left for the me-first NFL. He has a gold mine where he's at, he can do whatever he wants. All he has to do is ask ole Nicky boy. NS had it all at LSU, now he's in hell at Bama where the powers that be have control.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I agree, but he might be somewhat enticed given the talent at SD. He'll get to stay on the West Coast, be in a better city than LA, and have complete control over a team that is one of the most talented in the league. Just

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

True and think about this, if he wins another National Championship this year, how many does a coach win before the "Challenge" wears off. Guys like PC live to "Climb that mountain".

On the other hand, with the talent he's stockpiled at USC, if he doesn't win a NC, does he ever have any better of a chance than he did/does this year?

Either way, win or lose, I'd say the timing may be right but who knows, like you said, these rumors pop up every year. On their forum, there's one a week about him going to one NFL team or another. :hihi:

5. DRC

DRC TigerNator

At a trade show last spring I was having a casual conversation with a retired coach who was an assistant in the NFL and college. Eventually the conversation turned to Saban and the differences between coaching in the NFL and college. Basically he said he didnt understand why a successful head coach would voluntarily leave the NFL for a gig in college. He talked about several reasons why the NFL was a better job but the one he said was the biggest is the work schedule and more importantly the public speaking commitments.

He said the off season in the NFL was much different from college and it allowed coaches to spend a lot of time with their family and basically have a few months completely off work. He said college is a 12 month per year job and the off season is very draining because you are constantly recruiting or speaking to various booster clubs on the rubber chicken circuit with charity golf tournaments mixed in 2 or 3 times per month. He did say that some coaches liked the college lifestyle but they were few and far between. He also admitted that NFL job security on the head coaching level was far more precarious but most coaches were willing to live with that for the upside of not having to work their azzes off for 12 months a year.

They were interesting comments and made sense to me when I heard them. Maybe Petey is looking for a little more time with his family and for himself.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Maybe this was what Jim Harbaugh was referring to last year when he said that this would be Petey's last season in the NCAA before bolting for the NFL. Funny how that comment got such little attention.

7. clair

clair Rockets

way more $ while doing less work= a winning formula.

when you add in LT, Gates, Merriman and the rest, that sounds like a good deal to me.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

But you're not Pete Carroll. Bottom line is we're all motivated by different things. Some by money, some by job security, some by control. PC can't sit still, he can't NOT compete, he is bored with "doing less". He likes to make decisions without being questioned......is that even possible in the NFL?

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I think that depends on the coach to some extent. General wisdom is that NFL coaches work much longer hours for 10 months or so. I'm guessing there's less travel though, for the reasons you mentioned.

The Spurrier/Redskins experience was infamous because Spurrier did not like the necessity to put in crazy hours, while his predecessor (and multiple Super Bowl champ) Gibbs was known for sleeping in his office more often than not.

10. clair

clair Rockets

despite your USC alliances, I like you, but you're naive here. I know this, because we said all of the same things about Nick when he was talking to NFL teams.

If the price is right and the talent and front office control is right, he will bite the lure.

1 person likes this.