Rumor Central: Pete Carroll to Chargers

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by fanatic, Oct 1, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I think she's just asking whether or not you can get that kind of autonomy in the NFL. The answer is: yes, you can. And the follow-up is: no, you shouldn't. It never works. GMs are GMs, coaches are coaches. Never the two shall meet. It just doesn't work.

Of course, I'd love to see him go to SD, since I'm a Fins and Texans fan. However, I don't see AJ Smith giving up much authority there. Can Carroll straight up coach? I honestly don't know. He surely can recruit and hire coordinators. But as has been proven time and time again in the NFL, it's tough to evaluate college coaching success.

2. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

So when do the Les Miles to USC rumors start?

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I'd be surprised to see Carroll go since he's been to the NFL once already. It is a totally different job with much more parity. And no matter how much control you have, you don't have nearly as much control over the players. And as stated, having too much control over the wrong things probably isn't a good thing.

4. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Spurrier going somewhere ?

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

It is if he's the top dog in the organization; which is what the offer is reported to be.

6. fanatic

I should've added that AJ Smith will probably be fired at the end of the season. I do see your point about coaches being coaches and GMs being GMs. However, if he's offered and accepts the job, I don't think he would take on this dual role as GM/coach. I think he hire a GM (and other pertinent) so he can focus on the coaching aspect. All staff would be subordinate to him.

7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'm not in any way suggesting that PC would never leave. He has denied rumors all along but hasn't used the word "never" so clearly he's left himself an opportunity to make career decisions that don't include coaching at USC. What I am saying is that while it wouldn't be hard to find an NFL job with money, staff and players, it would be VERY difficult to find one that would allow him the kind of control that he wants/needs. Enough control that would make him leave his current enviable position and risk everything else associated with an NFL head coaching job.

He does love his current gig but ego can be a monster.

8. fanatic

I don't think it would be that difficult at all. The Dolphins did it for Alabama's coach and I believe anyone wanting Petey's services realizes he's going to want complete control. Besides, that's part of the rumored deal with SD.

9. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

I don't know about AJ Smith getting fired. He's done a tremendous job with player personnel. I don't know what transpired between him and Marty, but it wasn't good. It's tough to find competent GMs, and Smith has a pretty impressive track record in both free agency and the draft.

10. fanatic

He also hired Norv Turner. :hihi:

Seriously though, the AFC West is kind of weak this year, so the Chargers have time to rebound. The report I heard was contingent on them completely melting down this year and missing the playoffs. If they turn it around though, all bets are off.