Rumor has me salivating...

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUtiger327, Nov 13, 2009.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Maybe a Friday lunch?

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i could do that. i have to run errands tomorrow so i could meet you there while out.

oh batttttyyyyy.........

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

just had lunch at bears with stacey and batty. (and baby peyton.)

i finally got that craving for fried pickles satisfied. batty and i got a large order for the table since there were gbonna be three of us splitting them. we didnt realize a large order was the whole jar of pickles! it was huge!

the roast beef poboys is excellent, and i loved their sweet potato fries! best sweet potato fries ive had in a while. and even tho i got the small poboy i still have half of it in the fridge now with most of the fries it was so loaded with beef.

4. StaceyO

I had half a cheeseburger poboy. It was excellent--and really messy.

The company was good, too!

5. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

told y'all this place is the goodness. i forgot about starting this thread.

i still haven't been although i'm sure it's more like the one in mandeville (full size restaurant and bar) than covington (the original which is tiny like a sandwich stop).

i agree it's hard to order anything but the roast beef when i go but it's all good.

glad some of you guys were able to experience it.

6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

So tell me where they get their bread from. If they don't have it driven up to BR daily from NOLA, then its not worth visiting. BR already has too many "po-boy" restaurants that don't know squat about real french bread.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ditto on that! If you want to make your own poboy Matherne"s Grocery on Highland Road sells Reising's Poboy bread

8. StaceyO

My cheeseburger poboy from Bear's had crusty French bread. New Orleans certainly breeds food snobs, though, doesn't it?

9. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Yes they do, and so does Ralphs on Jones Creek.
    Yes. That's one of the penances NOLA natives must bear when we relocate from our beloved city. Crusty alone does not make for a good french bread. It must be crusty on the outside so that it can cut the roof of your mouth, while soft on the inside, but not gummy. One secret is baking your bread in a high humidity environment, typically with a bowl of water present in the oven. So yes, natives know great food, and its hard to find in BR, especially a good po-boy.

Will someone please open up a Bud's Broiler???

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

There are plenty of good sandwiches, just not poboy's. The only decent poboy I've had in BR was at Pocarello's. They buy bread from Leidenheimer's I think. No seafood, though. Great roast beef, meatball, italian, etc.

The best poboy in the state can be found in Lafayette and Old Tyme Grocery, IMO...