Rumors already starting about Atlanta coaching position

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by OhioTigerFan, Dec 10, 2003.

1. OhioTigerFan

OhioTigerFan Founding Member

On ESPN Dan Patrick show.....Saban is a possible replacement for Reeves in Atlanta as the Falcons coach!?!?!:cuss:

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

They've been saying that since midway through the season for Atlanta and Chicago. What they forget is that Saban as to accept the job.

I'll believe it when I see it.

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I seem to remember last year Peter King betting a bowl of gumbo that Saban was headed to the NFL. His name will not be removed from the media's go-to NFL replacement head coach list, and Saban's success will only increase the use of his name with NFL positions, available or not. Face it -- the national media doesn't like us; they really don't like us.

4. DarkHornet

I don't know if it's so much as they don't like us, as it is they don't care about us. I think in their eyes, we're irrelivent.

5. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I agree. I was just trying to play off Sally Field's famous Oscar acceptance speech in which she said, "You like me; you really like me."

6. DarkHornet

ok, I've never heard that speech. Fair enough :)

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

This might be the "Falcons Bowl", since I also see Bob Stoops being bandied about, too.

(Sigh) This is what happens when writers are caught off-guard and have no info to print; they throw out names just to stir the pot and to get people talking.

Hey, the Falcons can have Rick Venturi if they'd like!

8. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

Oh my god!!! If I have to hear one more time about the national media not liking LSU, thinking LSU is irrelevent, participating in some vast conspiracy to hold down LSU, or any other nonsence like that, I am going to freaking scream. Do you people truly believe that anyone in the national media feels so negatively about LSU that they are reporting on Saban to the NFL rumors to try to sabotage the program? These guys are national NFL reporters, they don't give a crap about LSU in either direction, and they certaintly are not making up rumors to try to hurt LSU, I'm not even sure how much these rumors truly do hurt recruiting. Whether Saban is leaving or not these guys have no Idea, but they do know that there is interest from NFL teams about him, and that is what they can report. Get your self important heads out of the sand, and realize that no one in the NFL media really gives a crap about LSU.

Nothing bothers me more about fans who think reporters have a bias against a particular team, and write letters to that effect.

Dear Peter King?
    Why do you hate LSU? Do you realize that by reporting on rumors of Nick Saban leaving the school, my wife has left me, my dog was run over, and I lost my job? You really hate the south don't you, and especially LSU.

Give it a rest, and I'm sorry if I was harsh, this rant wasn't really pointed at anyone in particular, just all fans who believe there is a bias against there team, I've seen it way to many times, and I am just sick and tired of it.

9. DarkHornet

I agree with what you say for the most part. As I said, LSU is irrelivant. It's not that they hate us, it's that they don't care about us. What's more important to them is who's coach NFL team X.

I do feel this probably hurts recruiting though when every year they go out and say Saban will be coaching the Colts, Saban will be coaching the Falcons, Saban will be coaching the Bears. That can't make a recruit comfortable with LSU. I know the media doesn't do it intentially just to kill LSU recruiting, but it doesn't help.

10. tpb

tpb Founding Member

I generally agree. I don't believe the media is anti-LSU as much as being not quite ready to accept LSU in the upper-echelon of the college ranks. They view us like Va. Tech...having a great year and over-achieving.

Also, the media is so pro "pro sports" including "pro football" they can't see why anyone would want to waste away in college-town USA when they can go to the "big time" in a major city.

Look at how much media coverage is devoted to pro sports. ESPN radio news on the hour highlights a MLB player jumping teams over whose No. 1 in CF.

Personally, I'm pro college sports especially football and basketball over the NFL and NBA which are becoming more "show" than "substance". The media love glitz and glitter which is appleals to their audience.