Rumors already starting about Atlanta coaching position

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by OhioTigerFan, Dec 10, 2003.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

The rumors may not help, and there may be some minimal impact, I'm just don't think it is as big as a lot of people think it is, and since it is happening every year, I figure it allows Saban to point to the fact that he is still around. The impact probably isn't enough to get worked up about it.

2. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Settle down, J_Oats. If you read the above posts, you'll realize that no one is saying that there is some vendetta out by the national media against LSU or some "vast conspiracy" to "keep LSU down." My comment was meant to be as ridiculous as the quote from which it came (Sally Field). Like I said, Saban's going to be rumored for NFL jobs now and in the future, and his success will only breed more NFL rumors. That said, due to the inconsistent record LSU has had over the last 20+ years, we have to earn respect on a national level. We're doing that now -- whether "they" "like" it or not (this post is beginning to look like it "came from" TNT).

3. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I think you are right about this, they are not ready to accept LSU into the upper echelon, but I ask you, has the team earned that? I would say not quiet, LSU is not Oklahoma, Miami or Michigan yet, in perception of the media, or in reality. Two national titles in a row will change that.

4. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I don't agree with you on this one. I do believe there may be a small USC bias with the national media, but the only reason they have USC in front of LSU is because USC lost first and they started higher.

5. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I wasn't talking about your post., I was talking about people like this

6. Redshirt

Redshirt Freshman

Every year someone wants our coaches. Gotta fight through it and don't let it be a distraction.

BTW who would you want to be your next HC?

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nick will be linked to every NFL head coaching job opening from now until he actually leaves. Everybody get used to it

8. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

J_Oats,

"I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber; didn't want to do it, felt I owed it to them."

I just had to comment on this quote. Thanks for posting it to your posts, great quote.

By the way, why is Pete Carrol's name missing from the list. Usually he is listed in these NFL coach vacancies . . . along with Saban and Stoops. In fact all season, Pete's name has been thrown around making the SC fans a little nervous. They almost had a breakdown when they found out Chow was interested in the NEB and ARi jobs.

Saban isn't going anywhere just yet. He built up our program, and I bet he will want to stick around to enjoy it, before he leaves for the NFL (if that is what he wants to eventually do). Personally I don't see any of these coaches taking the Bears or Falcons jobs, the Falcons are one major injury away from losing all their games. And the Bears flat out stink. It might be easier to rebuild in college than the NFL.

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Pete Carroll's been to the NFL, he didn't work out there. They don't want him.

10. tpb

tpb Founding Member

I don't think Saban will leave either (see my comment above), however, it's not as difficult to rebuild in pro as it is in college. Given free-agency and enough money you can do wonders. However, it's much more difficult to stay on top. Most NFL teams see to be on a roller-coaster these days. Great one year/month/week then down the next. Pro sports is highly unstable these days and with so much glitz and glitter it's becoming more gamesmanship than real sports. I'm not sure he really wants to get back in that circus.