Rush Limbaugh 12 years ago

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JoeReckless, Mar 27, 2006.

1. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

Rush Limbaugh: The 35 Undeniable Truths
    As read by Rush Limbaugh on his radio show, Friday, February 18, 1994:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(All equally truthful: number 1 is not more or less important than 35.)

1. There is a distinct singular American culture - rugged individualism and self-reliance - which made America great.
    2. The vast majority of the rich in this country did not inherit their wealth; they earned it. They are the country's achievers, producers, and job creators.
    3. No nation has ever taxed itself into prosperity.
    4. Evidence refutes liberalism.
    5. There is no such thing as a New Democrat.
    6. The Earth's eco-system is not fragile.
    7. Character matters; leadership decends from character.
    8. The most beautiful thing about a tree is what you do with it after you cut it down.
    9. Ronald Reagan was the greatest president of the twentieth century.
    10. The 1980s was not a decade of greed but a decade of prosperity; it was the longest period of peacetime growth in American history.
    11. Abstinence prevents sexually transmitted disease and pregnancy -every time it's tried.
    12. Condoms only work during the school year.
    13. Poverty is not the root ("rut") cause of crime.
    14. There's a simple way to solve the crime problem: obey the law; punish those who do not.
    15. If you commit a crime, you are guilty.
    16. Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud.
    17. The way to improve our schools is not more money, but the reintroduction of moral and spiritual values, as well as the four "R's": reading, 'riting, 'rithmatic, and Rush.
    18. I am not arrogant.
    19. My first 35 Undeniable Truths are still undeniably true.
    20. There is a God.
    21. There is something wrong when critics say the problem with America is too much religion.
    22. Morality is not defined by individual choice.
    23. The only way liberals win national elections is by pretending they're not liberals.
    24. Feminism was established as to allow unattractive women easier access to the mainstream of society.
    25. Follow the money. When somebody says, "It's not the money," it's always the money.
    26. Liberals attempt through judicial activism what they cannot win at the ballot box.
    27. Using federal dollars as a measure, our cities have not been neglected, but poisoned with welfare dependency funds.
    28. Progress is not striving for economic justice or fairness, but economic growth.
    29. Liberals measure compassion by how many people are given welfare. Conservatives measure compassion by how many people no longer need it.
    30. Compassion is no substitute for justice.
    31. The culture war is between the winners and those who think they're losers who want to become winners. The losers think the only way they can become winners is by banding together all the losers and then empowering a leader of the losers to make things right for them.
    32. The Los Angeles riots were not caused by the Rodney King verdict. The Los Angeles riots were caused by rioters.
    33. You could afford your house without your government - if it weren't for your government.
    34. Words mean things.
    35. Too many Americans can't laugh at themselves anymore.

2. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

Rush Limbaugh: The 14 Commandments of the Religious Left
    By Rush Limbaugh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Thou shalt have no other God except thyself; after all, it's thy self-esteem that counts. If thou doth not love thyself, who will?
    2. Thou shalt not make any graven image out of any substances which cannot be recycled.
    3. Thou shalt not take the name of liberals in criticism, including feminists, racial minorities, or any person who thinks he is a victim of America.
    4. Remember the anniversaries of Roe vs Wade and Anita Hill's testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee, and keep them holy.
    5. Honor thy mother. If she is dysfunctional, it is thy father's fault.
    6. Thou shalt not kill. With these exceptions: life forms under the second trimester, and those opting for medically assisted suicides.
    7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. Unless thou aspirest to high political office, useth a condom, or cannot help it.
    8. Thou shalt not steal. Unless thou art disadvantaged or upset with a jury verdict.
    9. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Unless thou art discussing the history of the 1980's, art campaigning, or can afford good legal counsel in the event that thou art discovered.
    10. Thou shalt not covet. Unless thou art the victim of gender-related oppression or institutional racism, or art still angry with Reagan's tax cuts.
    11. Always hide the real truth about thyself.
    12. Never admit who or what thou really art when campaigning for office.
    13. Always blame someone else for what thou dost - even so far as to blame the entire society.
    14. Thou shalt oppose all punishment - except when conservative Republicans or religious right people criticize thee.

3. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

My response:

#6: I disagree. The eco-system is not as invulnerable as Limbaugh would have us believe. For example, I have traditionally disagreed with the theory of a greenhouse effect. But recent events, particularly what is going on with the polar ice caps, have caused me to change my mind.

#8: I disagree. As an avid hiker I can tell you there is a great deal of intrinsic value in a tree. While trees are an important replenishable resource and can be considered a crop and harvested as we would any other crop, a strong case can be made and should be made against cutting old growth forests, redwoods and cypress trees (none of which are replenishable because of the time invovled in re-growing them) in addition to the practice of clear cutting.

#9: Certainly an arguable point which I will not disagree with. I am and will always be a huge Reagan fan. But a sound and reasonable argument can also be made for claiming FDR was the greatest president of the 20th century. While he did not end the depression (the Japanese did that), he gave the people hope in a time of hopelessness, and perhaps that was the most important thing he could have done. While it is true that some of his legislation led to a deplorable culture of dependency upon entitlements, that was never his intent. Future congresses and presidents have to take the blame for that. Also, Roosevelt was one of our great war-time presidents.

12. LOL. Limbaugh is just being fasceitious.

13. The root cause of crime is lack of character. However, we cannot ignore economics. Crime is primarily an economic phenomena. The more income a family makes the less likely one of its members will become involved in crime.

14. The crime problem is not that simple to solve. As a retired probation and parole officer, I can't tell you how many times someone gets punished and continues to commit crimes. As I indicated in #13, economics is a big part of crime.

16. LOL. Again, Limbaugh is just being fascieitious.

17. Money is very much a factor in the quality of an educational system. It provides better equipment, facilities more inducive to creating a learning environment and better textbooks. While a competitive salary will not make a teacher a better teacher, it will tend to encourage your best teachers to remain in the teaching profession and to remain in the state rather than move to other states where there is a more competitive salary. A great educational system is one of two things (the other being infrastructure) that will reap huge benefits for a state in terms of jobs, and money has a huge impact on the quality of an educational systerm.

18. LOL. Limbaugh knows he is arrogant.

19. The fact that I have denied several of his statements suggests on the face of it that this is an incorrect statement. Undeniable. Few statements in this world are undeniable.

22. Morality is not a matter of taking a vote. I think this is what Limbaugh is trying to say, and I agree. But morality always involves a free choice. Without free choice, there is no moral culpability.

24. LOL. Again, he is being fasceitious.

25. "Always" is an absolute, and there are few absolutes in this world. This is not one of them.

28. Progress is measured by many criteria depending on what kind of progress you are talking about. But by and large progress is the product of many criteria, not just of economic growth and prosperity (unless you define progress strictly in economic terms). It is also a product of a just legal system based on due process and respectfull of basic human rights.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

the earth has been going in and out of ice ages for a long time before peeps were around. so the earth has warmed and cooled many times. why should we expect anything other than warming or cooling? why would humans be the cause?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I love windbags like Rush Limbaugh and Pat Robertson. You don't even have to discredit Limbaugh. He is self-discrediting. Both of these lists make a fool of . . . Rush Limbaugh.

He is pure showbiz. Very smart and glib with a clever turn of phrase . . . but ignorant as a fencepost with the analytical skill of an amadillo. Every point he makes is subject to serious attack.

Undeniable?

- - - -

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i agree for the most part. i am not sure if he believes what he says, i think maybe he is just portraying what he thinks will get him the most listeners and money. and of course that is fine by me, he is an entertainer.

although i dont think that is the case with robertson, he is actually crazy.

7. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

There's tons of evidence that the earth in fact is entering another ICE age. It'll take 1,000 years or so to realize but it could be happening. Anyway, we are not causing any of this.......nature heating-cooling of the earth.

Read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Good book.

8. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

Obviously you don't listen to Rush much. Out of that list, I'd say all of those are pretty much undeniable truths.

9. Bengal Buddy

the recent cause of the melting ice is man-made; not the result of nature.

10. Bengal Buddy

Evidence shows just the opposite. The greenhouse effect is not a product of nature. Right now it is too early to be talking about an Ice Age. But if the polar ice caps continue to melt at the current rate, it could cause havic with the Gulf Stream and that could create real problems.