Rush Limbaugh 12 years ago

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by JoeReckless, Mar 27, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Poetry is for pussies. Any man who says otherwise, is himself, a pussy.

Next thing you know you're going to want to listen to some Alanis Morissette & talk about emotions.

2. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

I never said man isn't causing whatever is happening. You said man is so:

Read your fav, George Will today. You've never discussed how all of these scientists are not in agreement on this so to say man caused it, is incorrect.

While worrying about Montana's receding glaciers, Schweitzer, who is 50, should also worry about the fact that when he was 20 he was told to be worried, very worried, about global cooling. Science magazine (Dec. 10, 1976) warned of "extensive Northern Hemisphere glaciation." Science Digest (February 1973) reported that "the world's climatologists are agreed" that we must "prepare for the next ice age." The Christian Science Monitor ("Warning: Earth's Climate is Changing Faster Than Even Experts Expect," Aug. 27, 1974) reported that glaciers "have begun to advance," "growing seasons in England and Scandinavia are getting shorter" and "the North Atlantic is cooling down about as fast as an ocean can cool." Newsweek agreed ("The Cooling World," April 28, 1975) that meteorologists "are almost unanimous" that catastrophic famines might result from the global cooling that the New York Times (Sept. 14, 1975) said "may mark the return to another ice age." The Times (May 21, 1975) also said "a major cooling of the climate is widely considered inevitable" now that it is "well established" that the Northern Hemisphere's climate "has been getting cooler since about 1950."

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/will1.asp

3. LsuCraig

LsuCraig Founding Member

For something that is so obvious to Time magazine and Red, global warming, it's effects, causes and solutions seem to be a highly debated topic by the scientific community itself.

Therefore, making any kind of knee jerk reaction to hysteria caused by the media is irresponsible. Bottomline.

If Europe and China feel that global warming is so important, why don't they respond now and employ every measure included in Kyoto and stop manufacturing anything. But to expect us to do so, when they change nothing, is exactly why the global warming hysteria is a fraud.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Blind idealism is your trademark, of course. Just bury your head in the sand and everything will be all right.

5. red55

Well, it appears that martin and CParso are the unquestioned authorities on pussies around here. :lol:

6. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Speaking of global warming, are we also responsible for the global warming
    on Mars?:wink:

7. red55

Hmmm. In post 25 did you not say:

"For every bit of "evidence" that man is causing the earth to warm, there is just as much evidence that it is a natural occurrence that has happened to this planet."?

And in post 29 did you not say:

"Name one study you have read that proves global warming was caused by man? There isn't one legitimate studyhat has ever proven that........it can't be proven Red so I call hogwash on that one. You act like you are coming from a point of fact.........and you aren't. Find me a link to one legitimate study that proves man has created globalrming and that it isn't a phase of nature."?

I named five such studies. Just like you asked.

You didn't read the links, did you? Scientific debate on the subject is what has made the concensus position so strong--it has withstood serious criticism. Every major report has reached the same conclusions. The key word here is concensus. The occasional dissenting voice does not ameliorate the broad scientific concensus on the topic.

I understand what you are trying to say. There are natural climatic cycles that have played out in geologic time. But these climate changes have always had causes that range from intense vocanic activity to metor and comet impacts. Of course, that does not eliminate the fact that humans have also had an impact on climate in our time, starting with widespread agriculture/forest clearing and kicking into high gear with the onset of the industrial age. The evidence is overwhelming that humans have created the current greenhouse gases that are known to be responsible for the current surge in global temperatures.

Me too. And he is correct in pointing out that 30 years ago some scientists warned of global cooling and nuclear winters. But there is more data today and better methods of analysis and the majority of modern climatologists believe that global warming is undeniable.

George Will even agrees that global warming and worldwide sea-level rise are real. His main point is that it would cost many, many Trillions of dollars to reverse global warming, that this expense is vastly unreasonable, and we must simply learn to just deal with it. This is hard to argue with.

I think some compromises must be made and there is balance to be found. There are some things that we can do that are obvious, reasonable, affordable, and effective to reduce the greenhouse gases that we produce. But we must not imagine that we have the money or the power to set back time and completely eliminate the problem, at least not in the foreseeable future. We must learn to accept some things like sea-level rise and a larger, warmer tropical zone complete with more hurricanes and El Nino weather.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

good idea. i will bury my head in the sand, periodically appearing to read and write poetry that expresses my feelings and fears about how man is ruining our precious mother earth.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

this is not a particulalry controversial point. the question is whether human intervention is to blame. we are aware that the media likes to report that we humans are to blame and we need to do something.

i thought his main point was that the media was unnecessarily alarmist, drawing conclusions prematurely. scaring people like red.

10. red55

Well, it's true and it's the media's job to report it.

No, that was your main point. His was that people are not aware of the immense costs involved for a very little return and that the media hasn't pointed this out. Of course, George Will is the media, too, and he just pointed it out.