Rushing Game Questions or Answers?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Saturday Night everyone watched as the young Charles Scott did what many were hoping Broussard and Vincent would do. He proved to be reliable in a position that is critical to the offense. Scott showed up over and over against an overmatched Tulane team while Vincent was like driving through Iota, if you blinked you probably missed him. Broussard, however, was given the night to rest.

So, do the events of last night provide more questions than answers? Can Scott perform at this level against a higher caliber team? Will the extended play of the young back inspire Broussard and Vincent to perform at a higher level? Are we now better at the running position and can we expect that the rushing game will return as a reliable element to our offense?

I would expect to see more of Mr. Scott against Mississippi State next week if Miles wants to continue to bring him along and prepare him for the Florida game. Next week's game will certainly give us a glimpse of who to expect to see lining up in the backfield in Gainesville. I also expect to see a little more of Vincent and Broussard as the coaching staff evaluates their health and ability. This will also show us how these two will respond to the Tulane game. I expect to see Vincent continue to struggle but believe that Broussard will elevate his game. I'm not sure how much to make of the weight issue but it appears to me that Alley has a little more drive.

I believe we will continue to see a rotation at running back throughout the season as the staff continues to evaluate what they have while trying to develop the younger guys. I look for Charles Scott to continue to develop and should be well positioned for the 2007 season as a starter. I would love to see both Vincent and Broussard return to form and play to their abilities but while I have seen flashes this year I haven't seen anything that this team can hang their hats on. Hopefully another game against a struggling opponent will help get this team tweaked and ready for a tough road game in the Swamp.

And did we actually see this coaching staff shift gears using the pass to set up the run?

All in all, it is nice to have these problems while averaging about 35 points per game and sitting at 3-1.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I expect to see more of Scott in each game. JV just isn't producing and Broussard "appears" to be in the coaching staff's doghouse over his weight.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Very nice game, but it was only Tulane. The offensive line was not challenged in the least bit last night. So still more questions as far as I am concerned.

I want someone to step up because we desperately need a reilable running back at this point, but seeing a good performance against Tulane is not exactly going to make me feel very confident.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The coaches will likely work Scott and Williams even more versus Mississipi State and try to get them as much experience as possible before the meat of the SEC schedule. Florida and Tennessee defensive linemen will not be blown off the line as Tulane's were. Alabama and Arkansas will be tests, too.

More than the running game, I liked seeing Jimbo work the quick-hitting, ball control passing game last night. It opened up the run very well.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Last night was Tulane. Thoughts of what Scott could have done against Auburn is mere speculation.

That said, I liked what I saw last night and I would like to see what Scott can do against a better team. But I am not sure moo U will show us as even Tulane beat them.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Exactly.

Tulane is the #118 defense out of 119 Division I schools. Two wide receivers got good yardage running against them. It's the kind of game where you can put in a freshman and let him get confidence and not worry that his mistakes might cost you the game. Auburn was quite different.

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Where did I say anything like that? Answer: I didn't

If we were fortunate enough to see Scott go against Auburn, then it might be abundantly clear.

I would not say it makes me sick, but for the most part I agree.

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I concur with whoever that said that we are probably preparing Scott so that he is ready to play against a Florida or a Tennessee.

I think the big question is how to approach a Florida or a Tennessee. Do we see what Mr. Scott can do? Do we use a "three headed monster" approach against those guys? Or do we go back to what we did against Auburn (I personally hope not).

My answer is that I think by those games we will know who the best two are out of those three and we will use two against Florida and Tenn. Not necessarily "running back by committee," but more using two backs to wear down the D.

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

1. it was Tulane

2. I hope we don't see much more of "Vincent" . JMHO. I don't think he is all that good. maybe on kick offs and 3rd downs. nothing personal just from a football stand point.

3. I do think Alley is good and hope he has a chance to get back to his former ability

4. We don't need ( can't afford ) to wait on these two young men to "perform" forever. At some point when they are 100% healthy, they have to step up. This aint Kansas anymore Dorothy its the SEC.

5. Scott looked impressive, I hope he continues on this track. We need a premier back to step up into that role.

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I think one thing everyone is forgetting about is the stuff other than running. Case in point, during the third quarter on a long incompletion to Dwayne Bowe that was slightly underthrown, the reason the ball was underthrown was because Charles Scott absolutely flat out missed his block. The defender hit Jamarcus's arm and may have cost us a touchdown.

These are the things that have kept JV as starter IMO. I do agree that JV does not look as good as Charles Scott in the running dept. but I think the other stuff is why Scott and Williams have not played in the big games.