Rushing Game Questions or Answers?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Sep 24, 2006.

1. friedriches

friedriches mr. t

We've been saying this all along- at least I have, and I don't think that anyone with a bit of intelligence expects Scott to start until he gets a firmer grasp of all facets of the offense. Maybe split-back with JV?

2. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Vincent hasn't been the same since he muscled-up, in response to Alley's dominance. He lost a step and is not as elusive. He will never be that kind of power-back. Also, in '03, most any back would have looked good running through those gigantic holes created by an All-American offensive line.

3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Yes it was Tulane, but JV looked un-impressive against Tulane. I did notice the blocking issues with Scott. Scott appears to be the better runner, while JV is definately the better blocker. Until Alley is 100% which it looks like may be a while, either JV or Scott needs to step up. Either Scott needs to become a better blocker or JV needs to become a force running the ball again.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Vincent can pick up the blitz and he can slip out in the flat and catch passes. He is going to be a fine third-down back for us.

Scott and Williams still have a lot to learn, but are going to be groomed as power backs with speed. They will steadily get more PT.

Broussard will be back as his knee improves, but if Jordy is right and he's in the coaches doghouse for still being 15 pounds overweight this far in the season, then he needs to get serious about it and quit hitting the chow line so hard and get on the conditioning routine.

Meanwhile Hester is doing a fine job covering for the green freshmen and the recovering veterans until they all come along.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I agree. But at least, no matter the opponent, our running game got SOMETHING of a confidence boost, no? It was especially good for a young player like Scott to have a good game--even at Tulame's expense. I think it will go a long way...maybe not with immediate results, but over the course of this season and beyond.

...and I know it was mop-up duty, and against a beat up defense, but Keiland had some nice, hard runs. I'd like to see Keiland and Scott get some more playing time next week agaisnt MSU.

6. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

if anything the OLine built some confidence and got to work together in a game situation. id like to see us use scott in running downs for sure and maybe bring in he and hester in split backs so that that way, we can have scott to run or hester to pass block and the D wont have anything to key off of. i look to see equal carries for brouss, scott, and vincent this week, that should give a little more indication of who is running the best.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You will. Also Williams was running behind the reserve offensive linemen, not the starters.

8. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree. I am and have been a Miles supporter, but he is not perfect.

Continuing to do the same thing that is not working (i.e. running Broussard against Auburn) and expecting a better result, does not make a lot of sense to me. If we'd put in Scott, he might have run the play into the wrong hole, or fumbled. That's true, and he might have popped one for 40 yards. Alley was not going to do that.

If we'd tried Scott and he'd fumbled, I could have lived with it. We were trying our best, and it didn't work out. The Auburn loss still haunts me.

I'm glad Scott had a great game, and I hope Keiland comes along, with Murphy if he is the best option. Keiland has played, lost his redshirt. I think Murphy redshirts?

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I expect a stiffer challenge running the ball against Mississippi St, but Mississippi St won't be able to stop our passing game. The more we pass against Mississippi St, the easier it will be to run. So even after next Saturday we will still have questions.

Flynn looked less than impressive throwing the ball, but that TD on the botched snap was nice. Russell is our man and looked good.

10. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

murphy should redshirt. i would have liked to have seen scott for atleast a series against auburn. he had showed some potential in the arizona game and who knows, maybe he gets something done in there. i think the probability of him fumbling there is jsut as likely as AB fumbling, he seems to carry the ball well while running.