Russell Deserves Recognition

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

I realize a few things. I don't post that often, I'm probably late to the game I am opening a thread that probably has already been beat and Russell needs more press that doesn't include a mention of RP. This is not to put down Perilloux in any way because I am very excited about seeing him as the future of Tigers Football. I am a little dissapointed that some fans and some media members continue to try to stir controversy. While I am excited about seeing RP, I have been equally excited about watching JR.

Russell has been a lot of fun and I hope that he continues to ride the wave and have the time of his life. I can't remember anyone in a Tiger Uniform that brought that much raw skill to his position. Watching every snap he has taken over the years it has really been a treat to watch him grow and develop as a player, a QB and as a leader. He has grown up and matured very visibly from one game and one season to the next. He shows much greater poise and when he takes a snap you get the feeling that anything can happen. He's done everything that you can expect him to do yet in the off season he was being pushed aside by some media circles for Flynn and Perilloux.

I read an article in the Advocate a week or two ago in which they tried to analyze why some are eager to move in the new guy. I understand the reasons and the theories and none of them have to do with the play of JR. I just feel like we would be a lot worse off had JR elected to go somewhere else. I know I'm late to the table on this, thanks to work and travel, but better late than never! I think its time to be fully behind Russell who has worked hard to get where he is today and it's paying off. Leave the QB debate for next spring ...

On another note ... Am I just seeing things or does this team with all the new starters appear to be as talented as the Championship Team of 2003? I had some serious questions going into this season. 2 out of my top 3 questions are answered and my final answer will be realized this weekend.

These boys are for real.

:geauxtige

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Good post, stick around!

JR has been awesome, though the same can't be said for the competition. I'm RP's second biggest fan (nod to Clair on this one), but it doesn't get much better than JR.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Great post, I agree with you.

Some got down on Russell last year, but I think he played to what he was, a relatively inexperienced sophmore, with a big arm. I expected to see improvement this year, and I do see the improvement. He looks more mature, more comfortable, and making better decisions. I expect him to be fully matured and polished next season, as a Sr. Experience grooms and improves. Last year he didn't have the experience and it showed at times. We had no right to expect a Sr. level of performance from a sophmore.

I like JR!

4. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

I guess I felt a little compelled to make a statement because I don't know how much these attitudes can affect a player. I know they are aware of attitudes and opinions that float on the internet or in the media and I would imagine that to a certain extent they are numb to it. You have to believe, however, they are not completely immune to it. I watched the game on ESPN2 this weekend and I could have sworn I heard chants for Perilloux in the 4th Quarter. My mother was over watching the game and thought people were booing. What if we gave that kind of reception to the starting QB? What kind of message would that send? I guess it's like hoping that the stadium would chant "Tiger Bait" instead of "Boo" when the opposing team hits the field. Much more creative and unique ...

Ok ... I'm off the Soap Box! On to Auburn where I will be this weekend!!

GEAUX TIGERS!

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Russell had a wrist problem for a part of last season as well. Despite that he still started the entire season until he was put out of commission. I trust the coaches who see these guys up close on a daily basis to put in the players they believe can win football games for us. Jamarcus looks very good so far. RP's time will come and we will all be pulling for him.

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I think the fact that Russell has been in the spotlight since he came here made it seem like he should have been better sooner. That's not to see he wasn't good last year, he was. But he was a sophomore. This is his year...

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

JR has finally come into his own, and I truly believe we will all see that on Saturday. Auburn boards are lit up with ideas about how easy it will be to rattle JR, but I don't think he's as easily rattled as they think.

I look forward to the day when RP is the man, but that day is not now. But remember that people used to say they wanted to see JR back in '03--instead of Matt Mauck.

8. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I've been on the JR bandwagon for a long time. He has shown much improvement over last season, but the competition was questionable. Hate to place too much importance on one game, but the stage is set for JR's coming out party this Saturday on the plains.

We'll have trouble running the ball, so it'll be in his hands. A big game can solidify him as one of the nation's best QBs.

I'm betting on JR...

9. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Who in the world said that?

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fans always want to see the quarterback that is not in the game. It has always been that way.