"Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 17, 2006.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

re: "Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

I believe you're correct.

2. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

I don't think there is any question from people who understand the game that Russell is the best QB returning to the SEC and one of the top in the nation.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The things said about JR in that article are pretty much what everyone thought he would do when he came out of college. Some people forget he was a top 5 QB prospect when we signed him. Remember, we only see him on Saturday night. Jimbo sees him all the time

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

No.. people who understand the game understand that what russell does, he does on pure athletic ability... He has no touch and is terrible at making reads.. Flynn doesnt have the arm, but he has excellent touch and seems to make good reads (very mauck-like), and perrilloux.. well.. who knows? Point is that russell has all of the talent in the world.. so does aaron brooks, but i would rather have drew brees at qb because he doesnt make the stupid mistakes and doesnt try to through a fast ball every pitch..

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Jimbo can follow him hoame and watch him sleep if he wants to, the only thing that counts is what he does on Saturday nights.

P.S. Only 107 days 23 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds until kickoff

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Those last 2 posts sum up my feelings precisely.

7. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

OK.

All I see is a guy who finds a way to win, puts the ball in receivers hands regardless if they drop it or not, can make all of the throws, and never gives up on a play.

That translated in "the quarterback is the only guy on the field" fans speak is a guy that throws to hard for the poor receivers, and holds onto the football trying to make something happen instead of just taking a sack when the oline blew their blocking assignments, but still has managed 60% completion and won 11 of 13 games.

Let's get that guy outta there so we can play the other guy who is surely better even though Russell broke the single game completion mark twice last season and led us back from multiple second half deficits. Threw clutch TD's on the last drives of the games against ASU and Bama both of which were throws that 90% of college QB's could not have made. Yeah I know the Bama TD wasn't a long pass, but he had to thread it between two guys at about 99 MPH to make it happen. I don't know but those looked like good reads to me.

Oh yeah, and he did most of this with an oline that had more penalties than the rest of the SEC combined, and forgot how to block every other play, and injured runningbacks for most of the season, and what has to be a record number of dropped passes.

BUt he sucks. He is a dumbass, and there is no way we should put a damn future first round draft pick behind center this season. Not when we have Flynn who can run better. We need to just go to the damn triple option and forget all about this forward passing crap as it is surely just a phase that the game is going through.

But Flynn can pass too. Yep, and he will be a heck of a qb when his time comes. None of this is anything against Flynn, you just don't sit a guy that takes a few more chances for a guy that plays it safe when the guy taking the chances just gets it done. Not when your best argument in the debate is he throws to hard, and is not as mobile as Michael Vick, and he scares you because he can do things that most guys can't.

:dis: :dis:

8. re: "Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

JR
    MF
    RP

:crystal: :crystal: :geauxtige :geauxtige :champs: :champs: :thumb: :thumb:

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Once the Peach Bowl ended, I stopped giving a rats a** about last year. I don't care how many games Russel won vs how many Flynn won. All I care about is which guy gets us closest to 14 wins this season. Whether it be Russel, Flynn, Perriloux, or that fellow that sits behind me in the stadium who hasn't quite grasped the concept that there is a such thing as too much aftershave.

10. re: "Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

:hihi: I hate when you turn around and some guys got on the coach’s dreams on and he is sitting there with his legs spread right behind your head. Dude get some new shorts or close your legs GD.