"Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 17, 2006.

1. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

re: "Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

Haslett? Is that you? :hihi:

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

You wasted all that time blowing that hot air and didn't manage to rationally refute anything loco said. Pretty impressive.

Point is, Russell was very hit-or-miss last year due to his own mechanical or mental lapses. Anyone that 'understands the game' can recognize this, and knows the importance of remedying these bad habits.

I think that no matter who starts, they should be kept on a much shorter leash now that both guys are proven.

3. youcandoit1687

youcandoit1687 Founding Member

great points CHOSn1, i agree with u on everything

not to take from the win because it was amazing, but in the atlanta airport on the way back, i overheard miami freshman DE, calais campbell #81 saying that the team really didnt want to be in atlanta for the second straight year, thot they deserved better, etc. not sure what thats worth
    i still dont think that any team would not stand up and try and defend against a team for 40 points. for that matter, that a team would be that unmotivated about a game. "play every play like its your last"

i think JR proved himself as a big pressure starter last year and obvoiusly continues this in practice this year and last. i think we all need to remember that we are not experienced offensive coordinators or head coaches and when it comes to things like this, should probably just trustthe coaches and support our tigers

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Once again, I'll probably get red for this, but I broke records for breath-holding this past year. I thought I was a training olympic diver or something. Everytime that guy stepped up (into a sack) or if he tried to throw or tried to run, I was worried. He telegraphs every throw.

Well, let's be fair, he did play great against Georgia....

5. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

OK. I give up. I guess we have been watching different guys play so I will not try to explain it to you guys anymore. So i'll just change my dog's name to Jamarcus, paint the number 4 on all my shirts and send all the haters T-shirts that say "We should Shoot J.R."

But I have a feeling most of you guys will change sides about week 3 of the season.

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

If he matures into a GOOD quarterback and shows that he knows what it's like to pan the field, finding the right reciever, then yes, I will give him credit, but until then, he's nothing super-special... to me.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

while there were *many* factors which contributed to our best offensive output in the peach bowl, it is undeniable that Flynn looked very sharp, was on target downfield and ran without hesitation once the pass routes broke down.

However, those who claim that they see all the things Russell does wrong but only want the team to win...you cant have it both ways.

Russell can be frustrating as any regular qb on any level minus joe montana, who never made a mistake in his life while playing, if it was an INT i truly believe it was the receivers fault, yet i digress.

anywho, if all we care about it is LSU wins, russell wins and its indisputable. His record says so. All other arguments are basically moot until otherwise.

Sure, we can have opinions and break down what his faults are and there are some. Yet there's so much thats overblown on his 'progression' of receivers, meaning his failure to do so. Honestly, I watch too much football as do many here yet to say you know he did or didnt look off a receiver is often speculation at best.

Then you hear someone else repeat it on tv or the radio or usually just from your friends and it then becomes fact. Russell cant read a defense. It becomes folklore much like an internet rumor. Hell, I even start to believe it at times.

However, I do put credence into what coaches and assistants say on and off the record, as long as it isnt lester. Jimbo did say JR made great progress in said areas last year and continually improved and when added to his physical strengths, he named him and kept him our starter. If jimbo truly felt JR was lacking in any area so much that it put LSU at a disadvantage in place of Flynn then obviously he'd make the swap.

Til then, we can continue the folklore which strengthens our side of the arguments, right or wrong.

(Just as long as it isn't in favor of more hester.)

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Don't be 100% sure of this one. With previous coaching staffs, it took a while sometimes. Remember Booty vs Rohan? It pretty much took an injury for Davey to take over. (not comparing Flynn and JR to Booty and Davey. Just an example of how sometimes coaches make mistakes)

9. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

About the 11-win season last year...does anyone disagree that the defense (which was among the best in the nation) was largely responsible for many of those wins due to our offensive ineptitude? It's kinda like tOSU when they had Krenzel. That guy was a crappy QB. But he had a stellar defense to bail him out. In other words, we didn't win 11 games because of his golden arm, and sometimes in was in spite of his mistakes.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

JaMarcus doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes. His toughdown-interception ratio wasn't bad at all, but rather quite impressive for a sophmore. As a fan, its very hard to tell how much JaMarcus is telegraphing, much less what the coaches have taught him on that. JaMarcus does have a touch. He does try to force things sometimes which results in poor throws, but also consider he was throwing with an injured wrist for much of the season. Your opinions of Flynn are not based with the certainty you think. Consider the circumstances you've seen him under, 2 spring games, a couple mop up duty jobs, SECCG, and the Peach Bowl - where he had the benefit of one of the nation's potentially most dangerous offenses finally living up to the hype. Did our Oline block because Flynn was QB? Did our receivers catch purely because Flynn was QB? Did our runningbacks stay healthy merely because Flynn was our QB? The Peach Bowl offensive performance was not due to Flynn, but because of the team.