"Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, May 17, 2006.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

re: "Russell has too much talent to sit" - resurrected thread (2006)

We are seeing different things. I don't know what else to say about it...

Read my other posts about it. I said that you have to chose a starter and give him some room to make mistakes. A short leash doesn't allow that.

2. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I don't know it for a fact, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense to believe the mental & physical rest of the team after 11 straight games was the overriding factor in our win rather than just the person behind center.

First of all, Flynn's pass to Addai wasn't particularly pretty & I suppose you might have criticized JaMarcus for the same throw - as it was low & behind Addai. Maybe JaMarcus could have made the other throws, maybe not. It doesn't matter. Flynn only completed 13 passes that game - he didn't dominate Miami, our team did. Addai would be healthy no matter who was QB. The line would be dominant no matter who was QB. Those 2 factors alone would have allowed a similar game score regardless of who was QB.

3. IATigerFan

IATigerFan Tiger Fan in Iowa

Being from Iowa, I get to see only a few LSU games a year and while I did see improvement in Russell during the season, I was hoping for more like most of you. It seems that many drives stalled because A)the receivers dropped passes and B)passes were thrown that weren't catchable. Obviously, some of the time that balls weren't catchable was because he was scrambling and throwing on the run but there were many instances where balls were simply thrown at the receivers feet, behind them, or way over their head. With all the weapons at his disposal, I would like to have seen more scoring but I find it difficult to argue with his results. Sure it wasn't always pretty but all that matters in the end is that the Tigers are ahead on the scoreboard.

Flynn played an exceptional game in the bowl game and deserves a great deal of credit. I believe that LSU as a team, though, really felt that they needed to prove themselves after the SECCG. To Flynn's credit, he made the plays and passes that kept drives going so that we could put some points up and totally deflate the Canes. It was a dramatic turnaround from his performance against Georgia but the circumstances were also different.

What's it all mean? I think the best that we can hope for is that the position is up for grabs in practice and the best man will earn the starting nod. Whomever that is deserves the support from the fans and the opportunity to play without fear of being pulled at the first mistake.

:geauxtige :champs: :crystal:

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

If Addai would have caught it, why would I have criticized it? In the example from the UA game I cited earlier, I didn't criticize the throw, only the locking onto Bowe. The screen pass was made with two defenders right in his face and fast approaching. My guess is that JR would have tucked it since he doesn't (and shouldn't) have much confidence in his feet.
    I don't necessarily agree with that. Many of the throws were drive-sustaining (3rd down) and, if not completed, may have led to a very different outcome. Additionally, you pointed out that he only completed 13 passes. What you did not acknowledge is that included quite a few 'throw aways,' something JR often seemed hell-bent on refusing to do. That goes back to decision-making abilities, the department in which Flynn seems to have a tremendous advantage over Russell.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

You're just more critical of JaMarcus. Where are your complaints of Flynn telegraphing when he threw an interception for Georgia to return a touchdown on his first throw of the SECCG? Why weren't Flynn's supposed amazing leadership skills available to him in that game? I recognize that JaMarcus has faults, but I also recognize Flynns.

JR is a playmaker - he doesn't like throwing the ball away. It is something the coaches have obviously struggled with as they need him to make good decisions, yet don't want to completely limit his ability to make things happen. Flynn's decision making appears a little better than JR's, but there's nothing tremendous about it that I can see. Having a great running game, blocking, and receiving, can make many QBs look good.

6. Contained Chaos

If he had done it over and over, you would hear it. He obviously learned from it and didn't make the mistake again.
    As do I. And as far as I can tell, the only 'faults' that Flynn has aren't in his control...that being, a weaker arm and not as many starts. But as has been expounded upon time and again, talent alone can only take you so far.
    That means nothing. A bad decision is a bad decision if the result is, well, bad. Every QB wants to make plays. Trying to win the game on one play doesn't make you better, and is no excuse for making dumb decisions.
    This is a chicken-and-egg argument. You could also say that having an effective passing game forced Miami to respect it more, thus increasing the productivity of the running game. And there's also the theory/rumor that Miles finally let Jimbo run his offense without getting in the way.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

He hasn't had much of a chance to. And besides that, were you looking for his mistakes during the Peach Bowl? Because it seems apparent to me that you look for JaMarcus's faults more so than in Flynn.

And the lack of it can only take you so far as well...

You know, there was a relevent bit to that you took out. It has to be a compromise. You don't want to take away his ability to change the outcome of a game (like he basically did in the Capital One Bowl), but you don't want him making bad decisions either. Every QB makes bad decisions on occassion, might as well be in the process of trying to win the game. It is something JaMarcus still needs to grow on though.

13 completions is not an effecting passing game that would force Miami to respect Flynn over JaMarcus. Our OLine practically pushed Miami's Dline over by the time Addai was even ready to run through - that has nothing to do with the quarterback. Jimbo hasn't been known to run a prolific offense when the defense can win the game. Miles is the one more known for continuing to score.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yep.

Russell=10, Flynn=1, Perriloux = 0 wins. The job is his until somebody takes it away. Jimbo will give everybody an opportunity to prove they are better.

Every quarterback has virtues and faults. The great ones find ways to take advantage of their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

STRENGTHS -- Russell has the best arm at LSU since Bert Jones. Plus he has height and size and the uncanny ability to throw off-balance and wrong-footed improvised passes with distance and accuracy. He has a year of experience as a starter in the SEC (.833 winning percentage). Flynn/Perrilloux have never started an SEC game.

WEAKNESSES -- Russell isn't a running threat. And made several bad decisions at bad times last year.

I think Russel's strengths outweigh his weaknesses. We need an passer to take advantage of our fine receivers (who must stop dropping passes). We don't really need a running quarterback. His ability to get the ball downfield, even on improvised plays is vital to take advantage of those WR's.

People forget that Russell's bad decisions were made during his first year as a starter. That's not unusual and it's how rookie QB's get to be veterans. And he improved steadily through the season until his unreported wrist condition in the last couple of games. Russell will be a smarter, more experienced quarterback this fall. He has room to improve, which is[b a]good thing![/b]

Jimbo can choose between 2 Parade All-Americans and a Bowl MVP. It is impossible to imagine a situation where he would not start the most effective quarterback. LSU could have worse problems, believe me. Florida and Auburn each have quarterbacks that are rated better than Russell based on last year's performance. But no experienced backups exist and if Cox or Leak goes down, those teams wil be in big trouble. LSU has experienced depth at quarterback if Russell gets hurt and can continue to compete.

If Hester is the most effective running back, he will be played.

9. Contained Chaos

I never 'look for' mistakes. I notice them if they happen, especially when they happen over and over and over. I went into the Peach Bowl with the exact same opinion of JR as I have now, and with no opinion of Flynn. The only QB that the game influenced my opinion of is the latter.
    This is only relavent if you believe that MF lacks talent.
    If it were 'occassional,' I wouldn't be griping. And I would only hope that each and every decision a QB, or any other player for that matter, makes is to try and win the game.
    Doesn't matter. If you establish an effective passing game early, the defense will have to respect it, which could, in turn, lead to a lower completion total.

10. Contained Chaos

True. But it's not like he struggled for playing time the previous year. It was about 50/50.

All I'm saying is that I hope he has corrected some of his tendencies. I'm not in here trying to name a starter, but I would definitely rather a smart QB than someone that is only a freak of nature. Matt Mauck taught me the value of brains over brawn.

By all means, I'm a Tiger fan. Of course I want the best guy for the job to get the nod, even if it's James freaking Welker!