Russell shepard CAN THROW! Play him!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by vesperiaLSU, Oct 24, 2010.

1. lsu_dane

lsu_dane Founding Member

I don't put that one on Shepard. It seemed everyone was confused about the play. TT was lined up on the wrong side of the ball. Players were in the wrong position. Shep not realizing he needed to even be in on the play combined with all the other issues tells me it had to be something wrong with the coaches explaining the play.

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

To those (Lasalle and LSU Dane in particular) talking about the confusion of the 4th down play, that was a designed play. He was supposed to be coming in at the last minute, and then TT was to act like he was leaving the field. He stopped at the sideline still on the field of play. This was on purpose, but AU didn't fall for it, and a DB stayed right on TT. That's where the whole thing fell apart. But Shep running on at the last minute was intentional.
    -
    Now, there are plenty of other plays where Shep really is confused about where to be and what to do...but this ain't one of 'em.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

He can't learn them as WR, but you think he could learn them as QB? I agree though...the offense seems pretty simple...not much variety. But he doesn't know the plays for his current position. You know, the one HE ASKED TO PLAY??

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

please tell me you are joking. and if you aren't did he explain that post game or something? And how is that not a substitution infraction? Or is it not a substitution infraction because you aren't breaking the huddle with more than 11?

5. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I'm not saying start him, but he does have enough passing ability for the wildcat. Not to mention, he is far more elusive with the ball in his hands when he can see the play develop in front of him.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I'm not joking at all. It was clear as day. And they didn't break the huddle with MORE than 11...they broke the huddle with 10. Then Shep ran on last minute, and TT ALMOST ran off. He stopped about a foot or two from the sideline. It's not the first time this play has been run by a football team, college or pro. It's just the WORST time it's been run. It was an abysmal failure. But it was most certainly designed to appear just as it did. It clearly fooled a lot of fans, but it did not fool that AU DB that just followed TT right to the sideline.

7. LaSalleAve

i have seen this before, and i think i have seen LSU do it before, but i could be mistaken, however, did anyone say that was designed after the game? Because i swear i saw a coach push Toliver out onto the field.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I doubt anyone said it after the game. I am saying this based on what I saw during the game. To me, it was pretty obvious what they were trying to do. I'm not the only one that saw it...I know Steve'scooking noticed it too...and I've seen others on other boards who saw it the same way. But surprisingly, the majority of folks seem to just refer to it as more LSU confusion on offense.
    -
    I'm very confident in what I saw...that it was a designed play. But no...I haven't heard any coaches say it was. I also haven't heard any say the Shep was gonna throw the ball against UF, but I'm pretty confident he was about the chuck it on his first or second run to the right...but quickly realized he wouldn't have time to get the pass off before getting hit...and tucked it away.

9. DRC

DRC TigerNator

If that was a fake it was the best acting job I have ever seen. I just rewatched the play and there are coaches on the sideline waving their arms and motioning at players, there is what looks like a heated discussion on the sideline between Shep and one of the coaches. Tolliver and Randle are shaking their heads. Helluva a sell job I tell ya.

10. LaSalleAve

i'm with ya. i don't think it was planned at all.