Russell Shepard is an admitted Tim Tebow fan

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerBait3, Mar 11, 2010.

1. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Tebow's plight impacted Shepard's move

LSU’s Russell Shepard is an admitted Tim Tebow fan. The same goes for his dad, Russell Shepard, Sr.

So it goes without saying that when they saw Tebow being picked apart by NFL scouts for all the things he supposedly couldn’t do as a quarterback, it left an impression.

And in a lot of ways, it made Shepard’s decision to convert from quarterback to receiver that much easier.

“Three or four months ago, Tebow was being labeled as arguably the best college football player ever, but the NFL doesn’t care at all. It truly doesn’t matter there,” Shepard said. “I’ve been playing this game for a long time and want to have a successful career at the next level, and the receiver position and special teams is the best route for me to do that.”

Initially, Shepard said his father fought the move to receiver.

“I’d always been a quarterback. That’s what I came to LSU to play and what my family was used to seeing me play,” said Shepard, who once rushed for 341 yards in a high school game, including five touchdowns of 40 yards or longer.

“Playing quarterback in college, you can get away with being an athlete sort of like what Florida did with Tebow. My father loved Tebow, but was amazed by how four months ago he was the best player ever and now he has such a low grade as a quarterback that some teams are saying they wouldn’t even draft him as a quarterback.”

Soon after the Tigers opened spring practice last week, Shepard got a call from his dad.

“He just said, ‘Son, I believe you made the best decision of your life, just looking at the whole Tebow thing,’ ” Shepard recounted. “I know it’s the right decision.”

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Damn. :eek:

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Seems like Russell and his dad are pretty sharp.

4. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

not if it took them that long to realize tebow wouldn't cut it in the NFL as a QB. :cool:

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

What a great kid. The more I see and hear from him the more I like him. We all knew we were getting someone special when we recruited him. I don't think any of us realized just how special he is. His maturity is refreshing to see for a kid his age. I know that this will transpire into his play on the field. Next season is going to be special for him, and for us fans who will be honored to watch him. :geaux: :tigereye: :LSU231:

1 person likes this.
  7. LSUpathdoc

LSUpathdoc Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Yea guys I think we have a rare find here. I think this is some one you want on your team, and damn I'm happy we have him. I see him being the heart and soul of our team in a year or two if not next year. He is a leader this team needs. :tigerhead

8. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

So much for Meyer's ability to prepare QBs for the pros...Just another "Urban myth" I guess.:huh:.

9. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I just hope and pray that we have the coaches who can help Shep reach his full potential here. With the exception of Patrick Peterson I can't say I've been very impressed by LSU"s recent track record of production from star players. Tyson Jackson never lived up to his 2007 hype without Dorsey drawing double teams in the interior. Dickson was one of the best receiving TEs in the country and was virtually a ghost last year. Scott struggled mightily to get near 2008 form, and Ciron actually seemed to regress.

2 people like this.
  10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yeah at least he isnt threatening to transfer anymore. thats a plus.