Russell Shepard more involved?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ParadiseiNC, Jan 21, 2011.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Now that we are moving forward with a new OC, how does everyone think Krag, et al, will utilize RShepard? Will he be more involved in the game plan, more targeted? Will he be in multiple positions, i.e., WR, RB, QB/Wild Tiger?

We know Krag will be involved in developing Mett, and JJ, just curious how our change in offensive scheme plays out for RS.

PiNC

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

He certainly can't be any less involved. There is only one direction it could go.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I really hate to say this, because I really like Russell Shepard, but unless he just improves greatly in the offseason, puts on some weight, and gains some strength, gets his hands thing down, he will be our version of Ontario McCalebb, only effective in the jet sweep. In my opinion, if he wants to sniff an NFL roster, he needs to do whatever he can in special teams returning kicks. Lobby Coach to work on kick and punt returns.

Now, if he puts in alot of work, maybe he could be a solid slot guy. I will give credit where credit is due, he sure as hell isn't scared of contact, in fact at times this past season I have seen him welcome it.

I'm pulling for him.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I don't think his size is a problem, look at guys like Dexter McCluster. What he needs is to learn the game of football and be put in the position to have success. Both he and the coaching staff need to do a better job developing his talent and using it.

5. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

If anyone remembers, I posted that RS only got 5.5 touches per game this season (amount went down in the Cotton Bowl). It is obvious that he can be a game changer if you can get the ball to him under the right circumstances. Unfortunately, the LSU coaching staff has been unable or unwilling to find a way to do this. Personally, I lean toward the unwilling reason. Coach Miles is well-known for having his favorites, and I believe that RS is just not one of his favorites.

1 person likes this.
  6. NavyTiger

NavyTiger dunn dunn it all

That's true McCluster is a RB though. The roster lists RS as 6'1, I thought he was like 5'10 or 11. But either way he is size is not really a problem he just needs to work on his catching skills and he would be a great slot WR. He should improve this year in catching and I expect him to have more of an impact this upcoming year than last.

7. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Onterio McCalebb
    95 carries-810yds
    7 rec-86yds

I'll take those numbers.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

How is it obvious?

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

just pointing out that he was really only effective on that one designed play. which is really what mccalebb was only effective on, the barn just did it alot more than we did.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Because he took a couple to the house early last season. Then they tried to use him on the same play OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER, but of course, anyone, including me, the casual fan, could see it coming a mile away.
    -
    Here's my take on Shep...and it's pretty much in line with Twisted's. Shep asked to be a WR because he knows that's his chance at the league. But he has GOT to learn to play it. He can run and make people miss in space, that's a natural God given ability he has. BUT, he needs to work on route running, catching, and for heaven's sake, BLOCK SOMEBODY EVERY NOW AND THEN!!

He's a perfect slot guy, as soon as he learns the position.

Also, I agree with Lasalle about returning kicks. I think he's ready for kickoffs, but he'll have to unseat Randle for punts, IMO. Randle has infinitely better hands.