Russell Shepard more involved?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ParadiseiNC, Jan 21, 2011.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I think he also has to show more understanding of the offense. I don't know if he was grasping it or the way Crowton taught it caused the problems, but he was frequently out of position or unclear of his assignment. I think that is why we have seen so little of him. Something does not appear to be clicking.

2. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I wasn't trying to correct you. He averages over 7yds/carry with extremely predictable playcalling. I just don't understand why we don't use him more (at RB). If Mett wins the starting QB job, Shep should be the running option if we use one.

3. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

what about jefferson?

4. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Jefferson is probably a better option as a dual-threat. Shepard is a better runner. It depends on how they would use the second QB. It doesn't matter anyway, b/c I'm pretty sure Jefferson is going to start.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I like the idea of using him more as a tailback and a slot receiver. he could catch passes out of the backfield also, bubble screens etc..

6. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

Agree with you Fish, Shep needs to work on hands - saw a few catchable passes he dropped; however, saw some bad throws by QB that few could catch. Have to catch the ball to run with it and need a QB that can get it to him.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

just gonna throw this out as food for thought.....

a few people (including me) have said that our qb's appeared to regress under crowton. was it the way he was/wasnt coaching? were his schemes too "cute" and confusing? i dont know. but both seemed to get worse as time went on until jj started turning things around the last few games of this season.

but for those pitching hissy fits about shep not playing qb.... shouldnt you be saying "thank god" crow didnt get his hands on him to screw him up too? maybe he will still just be used as a receiver. but if he has ANY potential to play qb at this level, seems better to me that it be with coaching from someone who is reported to be a much better qb coach, and not having to undo god knows what.

that is all.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

North Carolina game.

Quarter number 2.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

By that logic, the A&M game proves JJ is a great college QB.

1 person likes this.
  10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

No but it proves he CAN BE a game changer. :wave: