Russell Shepard more involved?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ParadiseiNC, Jan 21, 2011.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

It's Miles'/Crowton's fault that RS can't catch?

He had plenty of opportunities. In fact, after he started dropping the ball he got too many. Scheme, QB, coaching, etc. doesn't have **** to do when the WR doesn't catch the ball when it hits him square in the hands. The passing offense stalled this season in large part because they kept throwing the ball to RS and TT instead of RR.

2. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Unfortunately, this is the case. Like others have said, he should be used as a RB/slot back.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

While that may be true, I think it is clear that in addition to not developing the QBs, Crowton did not develop the WRs either. You can't convince me that 3 five star WRs were all overrated. One of the problems (amongst many) with Crowtons offense was that the WRs were never in space when the ball arrived. They get hit immediately. If you constantly are getting hit the second the ball arrives, it can certainly effect concentration and thereby percentages of caught balls. If you are a raw receiver to begin with, as opposed to a seasoned WR used to dealing with catching and being hit right away, then it will effect you. To me, this is on Crowton. How much you want to bet that RS looks like a new player this year. Bet he catches a lot more balls, not just b/c he is getting experience at it, but rather b/c the WRs will be set up for success in a new, improved scheme. Additionally, as I have eluded to, I hope they utilize him more in the slot where he gets the ball in space and on the run already. If they can accomplish that, you will see RS meeting his potential, IMHO.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

BS. Players at LSU maximize their potential all the time. Either he's not doing what he needs to do or he ain't what he's made out to be.

5. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

What is he not doing that he needs to do, SabanFan? You do know something that we don't know? What was he made out to be, SabanFan? He came to LSU as a great scrambling runner with unbelievable speed. Has he been put into a position to use those talents? Absolutely not! Florida could have used Pouncey as a WR and for all we know, it might have worked out better than putting him at center. Some people, no matter how talented, simply cannot do certain things, and to expect them to is a joke.

Further, if RS had actually got all of the PT that Miles said that he was going to get every single week in his radio talk show, it would not be necessary to have this discussion.

6. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

I have read that Nichols state's coach coached under Kraig. He says that Kraig's scheme uses passes to the tight end and to running backs as running plays. He sees these short passes as an extention of his running attack. If shep is used in this way he will excell. A short 5 yard pass to shep while he is in stride is perfect for him. The bad thing is we may have to wait a year to see this unless jj learns how to lead his recievers. He hasn't hit too many in stride passes this year and I doubt that miles sits a senior qb especially after the performance at the cotton bowl. Maybe it was crowton that was dead set on jj and miles may be more open to Krags want to start mett if he is all they say he is. Whomever is qb needs to be able to hit shep in stride in order for him to live up to expectations

7. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Not necessarily true
    I even wonder if Shep is actually a QB more than athlete...I could see him at a West Virginia, or some type of spread offense

8. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So Gary Crowton is the catch-all for everything that went wrong at LSU now? He's the reason why the receivers dropped so many passes?

This was his first full season playing receiver in his life. It's going to take some time to adjust, but the light should be going off any minute now. Either you can catch the ball or you can't. I couldn't, so I played LBer instead of RB. Corey Webster couldn't catch either, so he played CB instead of receiver. At some point he's going to have to produce. You don't get to choose what routes you run, who coaches the receivers, quarterbacks, etc. or who throws the ball.

9. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yep. In my view, when our offense is #100 or so, and you have three 5 star WRs, two 4 star QBs (JJ and JL were both 4 stars, as I recall), multiple good RBs, and you run that funky offense he ran, then, yes, it was primarily his fault.

10. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

Until Jordon Jefferson grads this offense will be inconsistant and underachive. I know I will be blasted for saying this but it is what it is.