Russell Shepard more involved?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ParadiseiNC, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I don't necessarily disagree, but again, who asked to be moved to WR?

Shep is an elite athlete, no doubt. But with his size, his only chance at the next level (on offense) is to be a WR. I guarantee you HE knows this...and it played a part in his reason to ask for the move to WR. I don't blame him one bit for that.

LSU didn't require more running backs this past season, and likely won't this next season either. This is a team sport...not an individual one. I don't think it's wise to move the guy to RB so he can have more touches...

2. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Just how many touches do you think Shep is going to get as a 1st time WR in his first season? Especially with the likes of Reuben Randle, the Tolivers, D.Peterson, etc.. on the team?

It'll happen eventually. Patience, young grasshoppa!!

and FWIW, I would like to see him get a few tries at kick/punt returning.

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Agree 98%. Not about the punt returner thing, though. That's Reuben Randle. He's already proven he can not only return punts, but CATCH them.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You know, T-Bob may ask to play quarterback like his dad. :grin: The coach's job is to put the right guy at the right position. And if he ain't working out . . . try him at another.

True, it might be very good for Shepard. But he's not setting the world afire at WR, if he's thinking of the next level. I was thinking about what was best for the team.

It is indeed a team sport. I think it's wise to run a guy who averages 8.3 yards a carry. He needs more touches . . . pitches and handoffs . . . not more passes.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

First of all, considering the past 3 seasons, I'd have probably given T-Bob a shot at QB. :rofl:

But seriously, look at Shep and look at 90% of the WRs in the game. He's built for it...just has to learn the position. He's being given that chance. He's a true sophomore. He'll be alright...given time and experience. IMO, WR IS the right position for him.

Shep's average YPC is about what Ware's is...with fewer carries for Shep. I'll take Ware/Ford at RB, thanks. Yes, Shep should get a few carries too...he already does.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

And domino. He should have lobbied the coaching staff to play running back, not wide receiver.

7. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

I agree with Red about how to use him, not 9-12 carries necessarily (around 5-6 maybe). I know Shep is technically a receiver, but so was Trindon Holliday. When Shep was technically a QB, all he did was run the ball. So I don't think his listed position is a limit on what he does. I like how the Saints used Reggie Bush last year. They are similiar in that they aren't every down backs, but they are very dangerous. I think if we can get a legit passing threat downfield, he can be very effective in catching passes out of the backfield and other short passes.

Hopefully he can make an impact on special teams. Kick returns are the best option right now. Hopefully, he can develop the hands to do punt returns. This way we can let him be the all-purpose type player and we can allow Rueben Randle to focus on being an elite receiver. I don't think we should force the issue, but it would be nice.

8. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Guest

Then why did he continually say that he wanted RS to see the ball more.
    Was he lying to himself. Question mark.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

He wanted RS to earn the opportunity to see the ball more.

You have delusions of grandeur about Shepard that have not played out in the real world. I too thought he would burn up the field for LSU. I have gradually come to accept that, while his has great potential, he's the not "The Natural" we all hoped he'd be.

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

That is a remarkably uneducated and simplistic conclusion to draw.