Russell unchallenged as LSU QB (Interesting Read)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Aug 22, 2006.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006608220364

Glenn Guilbeau takes the day off from LSU-bashing and comes up with something actually interesting AND newsworthy: an early indicator on how the QBs may be used this year.

The rest of the media is so focused on the zero-sum aspect of a typical "QB controversy" (i.e., you either have a QB who takes all snaps during meaningful parts of a game or you have 2 who "rotate" for entire drives during meaningful parts of a game), and Glenn gives us a pinch of how, well, some pretty smart coaches on LSU's staff are gonna mix in a little Flynn or RP "flava" in targeted ways this season.

Stupid mainstream sports media...funny how a Georgia team that's dominated an SEC East the past 5 years--most of the time using 2 QBs with contrasting styles in such a "targeted" fashion--never had a "QB controversy", yet LSU's situation is one, somehow.

Damn, I feel abnormally good about this bunch of Tigers...:crystal:

2. clair

clair Rockets

I have told you since last year to expect RP in some sort of redzone/short yardage package.

this year, that will be the case

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

1) Good news about Russell picking up the offense and recognition better. If he masters that part of the game he will be unstoppable.

2) Glad to hear those comments from RP. Perhaps he has matured a lot.

3) This sounds to me like an ideal solution to the QB situation.

4. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Won't happen. It would be suicide for Miles.

5. clair

clair Rockets

Well, believe it...

Now don't get me wrong, RP won't go in every single play we are inside the 20. He won't even be in 10% of the plays

But if it is 1st and goal at the 2, you can see him, just b/c he is more mobile and is more capable of bootlegging

Jimbo did a similar scenario when he was at Auburn

and if Les coaches to please the 92,000 wannabe coaches, then he isn't the right man for the job IMO

6. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Having RP in red zone situations is just adding another weapon to our offense, nothing wrong with that.

7. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Yeah another weapon, but you don't take your best player out of the game after he drives the field and gets into the redzone so that you have a better chance to score. It doesn't make sense.

8. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

Some of the most successful people in the world are able to achieve that success because they can think "outside the box." What doesn't make sense can many times produce better results than the expected. JR is the man and will be the man. However, I wouldn't be surprised or upset to see RP come in to give the offense a new wrinkle--especially in the redzone.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Dude!!! That's an AWESOME avatar pic!!! Where'd you get it?!?! ...and is there more to that clip?! I'd love to see it!

10. clair

clair Rockets

very very well said