S Bob Sanders released

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Apparently released b/c he was scheduled to make $6 million next year.

Think the Saints would have any interest in him?

2. tigerleg24

tigerleg24 Founding Member

No way he can't stay healthy he missed 39 games over the last 3 seasons

3. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Exactly. He's missed more time than Troy Polamalu and Darren Sharper combined.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Yeah, I agree.

Dude's muscles are made of wet toilet paper.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I guess I'm the only one that thinks it's worth a shot. We probably won't re-sign Sharper, so we could probably land Sanders at a bargain. Especially if his contract is based on how much he actually plays. The injuries he's sustained have really been kind of fluke-ish. First, he tears his left bicep that causes him to miss 12 games, then he tears the right one the very next year. Surely that can't continue. Try to sign him to a minimum contract, with the opportunity to make more money depending on games played or something to that affect. It's a no lose situation if you can land him.

6. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Sadly, I believe it can and probably will happen again. An injury that is. Not necessarily the same biceps injury. He must have something inherent to the structure of his muscles, tendons, cartillage, ligaments, bones, whatever, that is weak. It's probably genetic and nothing can be done to fix his genetics. It is what it is. That being said, we saw what a relatively healthy Sharper did for us in 2009. Highly motivated veteran with something to prove(that he's not washed up). Depending on price, I would be 100% behind bringing Sanders in for a year or two. We're a superbowl contender right now and we should spare no expense(Tom Benson willing) to bring home more championships while we have Drew Brees and Sean Payton as QB/coach. Srike while the iron is hot as the saying goes.

7. b_leblanc

I agree 100% that the saints are in prime position to compete for more championships, and that window will only stay open for so long. With that said, bringing in Sanders would be detrimental to the team for a number of reasons. He takes up a roster spot that a healthy player could have (unless he's on IR, which is probably where he'd end up), he counts against the salary cap, oh and how often has he played since 2007? Yeah. Spend the extra money and go after a free agent who isn't injury prone like Sanders. The pass rush is horrible, I'd think they'd want to improve that a little bit before taking a huge risk on a player whose body is telling him he's done.

8. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

If anything, his body may be telling him he never really got started.

9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

You make some valid points. By the same token, a healthy Bob Sanders is a game changer. I know it's a risk, but I think it's worth one if he can be signed to the minimum, with increasing incentives for how much he plays. I just think his injuries his last 2 injuries were flukes. It's not like his knees are shot or anything like that.

We'll have plenty of room under the cap because Reggie is either gone or will have a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced salary, Shockey is probably gone, and so is Sharper. That said, they should not stop the free agent signings at Sanders. We definitely need more help.

10. b_leblanc

You also make valid points. I agree we need more help, particularly in the pass rush (i.e. defensive ends, outside linebackers, and another defensive tackle (really need a game changer at that position)).

Perhaps if Sanders were to take the time to actually let himself heal all the way (if this could possibly be part of the problem) and not try to come back so quickly from injury, then he's one hell of a defensive back.

Someone will take a chance on him, I'm not sure Gregg Williams would be willing to do it though, plus the amount of pride that Sanders would have to swallow by taking such a big pay cut (Sanders is due to make over $6 million for the 2011 season under his current contract).

The facts are that when playing, Bob Sanders is a hell of a defensive weapon, but....He's 5'8". When he's playing against people much bigger than him he stays hurt. He has NEVER played a full season.

The style that this guy plays, he goes balls out. He uses his body as a human missile. And he HAS to considering his size. This is why he stays hurt all the time. You can't uncoach that killer instinct, unfortunately for him, he's killed his own durability and longevity.

We don't need him.